New member saying Hello

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
AuLoS303
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

New member saying Hello

Post by AuLoS303 »

Hi, I'm Larry and I'm an a...oh wrong forum...
Ahem, start again..
I'm Larry and I live up in the North East. I'm a musical hobbyist meaning I have more instruments than I can play. (I'm fascinated by by musical instruments )

Last year I got myself a recorder, of course it was the obligatory Soprano (An Aulos 303A to be precise) and set about teaching myself how to annoy the neighbours with it. Being slightly dissspointed with tge size and sound it made I bought myself, sorry my partner bought me a Tenor, ruddy huge thing it is! Sounds better but much harder to play. Then I was given a Yamaha Alto and I fell in love with it. Sounds great and very playable.
Some time later, while at a museum (Beamish, great place) I spotted a tin whistle in the gift shop and bought it. Having seen a few youtube videos of the tin whistle I really got to like the instrument. Unfortunately mine is pretty dire-it's actually a toy made by Schylling. But it was an impulse buy,I wasnt looking for a whistle. Maybe it found me! Anyway I hope to get a decent one in the future, but I know very little about them to tell a good un from a bad un.

I am also equally bad at playing piano, guitar, ukulele and mandolin but hey, everyone needs a hobby right!
I also dream of owning a clarinet in the future. Well one can dream...
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
Innocent Bystander

Re: New member saying Hello

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Hi Larry!
Next time you're in your local music shop (mine is about nine miles away) have a look for Generation or Clarke whistles. They are the cheapest and a bit hit-or-miss, but they tend to be good enough so that you know if you want to continue.
It's also possible to make your own, cheaply, too!

I also play to folk standard (i.e. not well) on guitar, harp, ukulele, dulcimer and a few other instruments. :D
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

Welcome! Instrument are indeed fun. And I echo the suggestion for a Generation whistle if you end up wanting to pick another cheap whistle. My generation Bb whistle is a nice player.
Life is good.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Cheers guys
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog