Long time no see.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Long time no see.

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Hi there, people. I haven't been here for a long time. Sorry. I still have my whistles, and my overtone flutes, but I haven't touched them for a while. I moved from Buckinghamshire in the UK Home Counties, to Greater Manchester in the UK North Midlands (right on the Yorkshire border!). My musical habits have changed, and I am doing more on Guitar, Ukulele and Harp. For Christmas I got a build-it-yourself cigar-box guitar, which was fun.
One reason I'm here is to solicit support. I may be breaking the rules here - in which case I apologise, and the moderators will delete this post.
The main reason I moved north was to be with my partner Sally Hyman, who is a kind of firebrand.
She went out to Greece as a breastfeeding counsellor last year, and she was so disgusted at the situation of the refugee camps that she started her own organization in order to get Mothers and Newborn babies out of the camps - at least for a time.
Why breastfeeding counsellor? Because well-meaning (but ignorant) NGOs have been handing out milk formula to refugees with young children. It's literally a poisoned chalice, because the mortality rate for bottle-fed infants in the camps is ten times higher. There's not much in the way of water supply, and keeping bottles clean and sterilised is largely impossible.
Greece is impoverished at the moment. Since the EU closed its borders Greece wound up with the refugees coming from the east and south. Greece doesn't have much in the way of food or spare clothing, and those who might be inclined to help don't have the resources to do so. The hospitals are particularly short of resources - maternity wards have no gas-and-air, for instance, and 75% of the births are handled as caeserians. Mothers with caeserian scars and newborn babies are sent back to live in a tent. That's what Sally is trying to avoid.

So, my partner started Cribs International. It's currently a not-for-profit company, and is applying for charitable status. There have been a lot of struggles with the paperwork, but it should be official soon.
It's not directly for Cribs that I'm asking your support - although that would be nice.
The Radical Tea-towel company currently has a vote out for organizations that could get some funding from them. If it please you, I would ask you to vote for Cribs. Even if Cribs doesn't win, the publicity helps.

Here is the link:
https://surveyhero.com/c/91c346f

That is all.
Thank you.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Long time no see.

Post by chas »

Nice to see you again, IB. Don't be a stranger.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Innocent Bystander

Re: Long time no see.

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Thanks. I'd forgotten how much I miss this place.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!