bagging

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: bagging

Post by benhall.1 »

david_h wrote:Even if the most artistic arrangement would have the eggs coming off the belt (adjective - redundant within the context -may often be "moving") first and the potatoes last?
Ah, but, for me, aesthetic means also arranging things so that they are both practical and beautiful. :) :love:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Oh, you mean you're arranging your stuff on the belt going to the cashier! Now I get it. Yes, you would get dark looks. Or the pity we afford crazy people.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Oh, you mean you're arranging your stuff on the belt going to the cashier! Now I get it. Yes, you would get dark looks. Or the pity we afford crazy people.
Crazy? CRAZY-Y-Y-Y-???? How can you even INCINERATE that? :o

In fact, it's an incineration I simply will not immolate.

:D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:How can you even INCINERATE that? :o
In the same way I do cilantro.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:How can you even INCINERATE that? :o
In the same way I do cilantro.
Anyway, it's coriander.

[sulk]
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

In application we Yanks differentiate in name between the spice and the herb - and for the public good, rightly so. This is coriander:

... and THIS is cilantro:

See? No confusion.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

No confusion for us Brits either. The spice is called "coriander". In order to differentiate it, the leaf form is called "coriander". See? No confusion.

:D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Your dining tables must be strewn with the dead.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Your dining tables must be strewn with the dead.
I try to invite the deserving. :twisted:
Tor

Post by Tor »

As for arranging stuff on the conveyor belt.. the one that's apparently sometimes appreciated (is that vague enough?) is to position each item so that the barcode is already facing the laser reader when it passes the cashier.

We don't have the double conveyor belts here (well, in my European location - in Japan that's a non-issue, they have it sorted), only a single wide one which is divided in two by the cashier. The problem is that even though you have all your items already, the belt is still running for the next customer. So some items will get stuck (particularly the flat ones) or otherwise destroyed against the divider while you're packing (bagging? Sounds kind of sinister..).
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Tor wrote:As for arranging stuff on the conveyor belt.. the one that's apparently sometimes appreciated (is that vague enough?) is to position each item so that the barcode is already facing the laser reader when it passes the cashier.
I like to think of myself as considerate, but you have me beat by a mile.
walrii

Post by walrii »

Here in rural Texas, I just push my grocery cart up to they checker who takes the items out of my cart, swipes each one past the scanner and slides it to the bagger in one swift motion. The bagger loads the items in bags (paper or plastic, my choice) keeping the soft items in separate bags from the hard items. Heavy items like cans are double bagged. Each loaf of bread and carton of eggs gets its own bag. The bagger loads the bags into a grocery cart while I pay the checker. The cart piled high with groceries takes about three minutes, total. The bagger then follows me to my vehicle and puts the bags in my vehicle. Eggs and bread go in the front seat, not in back. The bagger and checkers are mostly kids from the local high school. The store, United Supermarket (a Texas chain), does not allow them to accept tips and they never by word or body language ask for one. If offered a tip, they politely refuse. The pay appears reasonable as quite a few keep working there after graduating from high school, moving up the ladder in the store hierarchy. Life in the figurative 1930s can be slow but it has its advantages.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Now and then in the UK, some youth organisation - Scouts, Guides, Goths for Jizo, or what have you, do a deal with the supermarket so they will bag your goods for a donation to their charity. Uniformly they are not experienced.
I like to pack my own. I've got my own way of doing things, thank you, and LEAVE MY STUFF ALONE! (Ahem.)
Freezer stuff goes all together (there's not usually much). Tins and jars go all together. Bready things go all together. Vegetables and fruit go all together. It's easy, really, but it needs co-ordination on both ends of the checkout.
I usually sling them a donation just for keeping the hell out of my way. Fair's fair.
:)
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Cilantro sounds like the kind of car you can't afford, and wouldn't buy anyway. :poke:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Tor

Post by Tor »

Nanohedron wrote:
Tor wrote:As for arranging stuff on the conveyor belt.. the one that's apparently sometimes appreciated (is that vague enough?) is to position each item so that the barcode is already facing the laser reader when it passes the cashier.
I like to think of myself as considerate, but you have me beat by a mile.
Didn't say I actually do it that way.. I don't think it's practical. That suggestion was in one of those phamplets the shop mails out to Members (as a member, I get 1% return of my "investment", yeah...!)

(Some time has passed since the thread started.. I'm even more convinced now that the Japanese supermarkets have got this. It works. Although they can't beat walrii's baggers bringing the bags to the car.. except that the Japanese will do that, for old people, if there's really a need. But are there anywhere else with double-buffered cash registers? Where the next customer's groceries are scanned while the previous one hasn't paid yet?)