This may put a hitch in instrument building

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

This may put a hitch in instrument building

Post by kkrell »

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... SApp_Other

"The Convention on the Trade in Endangered Species (Cites) summit on Thursday placed all 300 species of rosewood under trade restrictions, meaning criminals can no longer pass off illegally logged species as legitimate. "

"The importance of protecting the entire Dalbergia genus of rosewood is that criminals can no longer pass off illegal rosewood as one of the previously unprotected species."

African Blackwood is Dalbergia melanoxylon.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Re: This may put a hitch in instrument building

Post by Sirchronique »

Good thing I'm a Mopane guy :D .. perhaps it will start getting more use, since it is a viable alternative that is just as suitable for instruments. I'm actually surprised it isn't more popular than it is.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Sirchronique wrote:Good thing I'm a Mopane guy :D .. perhaps it will start getting more use, since it is a viable alternative that is just as suitable for instruments. I'm actually surprised it isn't more popular than it is.
I've always preferred Mopane both for looks and feel. The grain feels a little denser and harder than blackwood, but that may not be scientifically accurate. It just feels good :) sounds awesome too.
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

I'm a big proponent of using local materials, so I think it'd be cool to see increased use of local hardwoods.
Life is good.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Good thing I'm a Mopane guy :D .. perhaps it will start getting more use, since it is a viable alternative that is just as suitable for instruments. I'm actually surprised it isn't more popular than it is.
A bit short sighted I would think. Use up the cocos, move on to rosewood, rosewood gone, well we go to mopane... Is that really the cycle you want to be locked in to? Learn from history and don't keep repeating the same thing, hoping for a better outcome.
My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

dyersituations wrote:I'm a big proponent of using local materials, so I think it'd be cool to see increased use of local hardwoods.
I'm with you on going local, but unfortunately hardwoods from temperate biomes aren't resinous, at least not nearly to the degree you find among the Fabaceae tropical heartwoods (blackwood, rosewood, mopane, cocus, etc.). The good looks are secondary; this resinous property gives physical and performance stability by greatly slowing the absorption and desorption of moisture, very desirable traits for wooden flutes and other mouthblown woodwinds.

As an experiment (sort of), I had Pat Olwell make a flute out of Eastern US dogwood. It was a first for him; neither of us knew if it had ever been done before. As it was a prototype he couldn't provide warranty, but considering the source, I was fine with that. The flute came out light as a feather although the wood was dense, tough, and hard as nails (it fell from a table and the rim of its endcap hit a tile floor, but the mishap left no mark!); the timbre was well in keeping with today's trad-type flutes, with a bit of an edge to its tone that I attributed to the wood itself. It was a dandy stick, and Pat did himself proud. But even the best expertise cannot override a wood's basic nature. The joints would swell rapidly and so much that sometimes after extended playing I couldn't take it apart; I had to wait some time for it to desorb first, and all the worrying was too much for me. The only solution was to bind the tenons for a loose fit and let the swelling take its course to make up for it, but until then you had a loose, rattly flute. Not so good, either. All this was due to the dogwood being non-resinous. Against this, Olwell had impregnated it with linseed oil and I too oiled the daylights out of it particularly on the endgrains, but none of it made any difference. Needless to say, I went back to blackwood. It was a shame, because I really liked that flute otherwise. I would expect similar issues out of rock maple or birch, for example.

If the temperate regions had resinous hardwoods we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
A bit short sighted I would think. Use up the cocos, move on to rosewood, rosewood gone, well we go to mopane... Is that really the cycle you want to be locked in to? Learn from history and don't keep repeating the same thing, hoping for a better outcome.

I actually agree with your assessment. I was not proposing switching to Mopane as a solution, as it was simply an observation on its current state of use.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I know you were tongue in cheek in your reaction but, I am in a pessimistic phase about the state of the world, the problem is a serious one. We're seeing a mass extinction in progress before out eyes as the Anthropocene is taking hold.
My brain hurts

david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

david_h wrote:Start planting now: http://www.mpingoconservation.org/
Does anyone know whether CITES provides outlets for such organizations? I looked at their website and I couldn't find any specific info about waivers (I know they exist for pre-listing materials, but dunno whether there are waivers for good stewards).
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

What does this do for wood already harvested and sold? I've got a fair stock of exotic hardwoods including some favorite Dahlbergias-- Cocobolo, Blackwood, Tulipwood.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

chas wrote: Does anyone know whether CITES provides outlets for such organizations?
The article linked in the OP says "Some rosewood species can still be logged under the new rules, but will require permits that should only be granted if it is deemed sustainable. The rules could be revisited in the final Cites session next week, but this is unlikely. Rosewood is also used to make some musical instruments, such as guitars, but the new rules will not prevent musicians travelling with their instruments."
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

david_h wrote:The article linked in the OP says "Some rosewood species can still be logged under the new rules, but will require permits that should only be granted if it is deemed sustainable. The rules could be revisited in the final Cites session next week, but this is unlikely. Rosewood is also used to make some musical instruments, such as guitars, but the new rules will not prevent musicians travelling with their instruments."
It may, however, restrict the sale of existing instruments across international borders, or possibly, at all, just as those with ivory or Brazilian Rosewood have been affected.
Tor

Post by Tor »

Time to restart my GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome) and stock up on rosewood acoustics until I'm certain that I won't ever feel the need for another later when I can't get them.