Loving the Opera free VPN

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Loving the Opera free VPN

Post by s1m0n »

I've been a long time user of the (Norwegian) Opera browser, in part because their innovations - tabbed browsing, pop-up blocking, mouse gestures, background downloading - all seem to rapidly become standard browser features widely copied by the competition. The latest version has native ad-blocking* - halleleu - and a free IP masking VPN. I've only recently activated the latter, and I love it. Stuff that's geo-limited or IP metered is now freely available.

My only regret is that there are only 5 different IPs to choose from - Canada, US, Germany, Netherlands, Singapore, (and "optimal"). I'd like a UK IP so I can stream geo-limited BBC content, but that's looking a gift horse in the mouth. They've added locations since it first rolled out, but what they have already is (more than) worth the cost of learning a new browser, IMO.

*A whole lot of sites have guilt-trip nag pages devoted to shaming ad-blockers, but they need to find ways of generating revenue without pissing off their readers. Alienating the user is always a losing proposition. Anyway, the anti-ad-block websites all use java script to run their nags. If you appreciate ad-blocking and don't want to turn it off for some website's financial convenience, turn off scripting for that site instead. PM me if you don't know how.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Thomaston
antispam: No

Re: Loving the Opera free VPN

Post by Thomaston »

I'm testing it on my iPad right now. I've been using the Chrome browser, but it's always annoyed me that I can't add an ad-blocker to the iOS app version.

Unless I'm doing it wrong, my only complaint so far is that it seems like I have to use 2 different apps. One is the browser, the other has the VPN and ad-blocking.