Chiff and Fipple Forums
http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/

Can't read it wrong
http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=103332
Page 18 of 27

Author:  Nanohedron [ Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Can't read it wrong

Image

First time I ever heard of a crosne.

Author:  kkrell [ Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Can't read it wrong

Had to look it up myself:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stachys_affinis
"Stachys affinis, commonly called crosne, Chinese artichoke,[2] Japanese artichoke,[2] knotroot,[2] and artichoke betony"

Author:  Nanohedron [ Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Can't read it wrong

I was, like, Crawz-nee? What's a crawz-nee? Then I found out it got the name from the French village where it was first known to be cultivated in Europe. French, then: One pronounces it "crone". I think I like "chorogi" better. Having crones for lunch just doesn't sound right.

They look like fat grubs.

Author:  kkrell [ Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Can't read it wrong

Good old BBC:

"Sir David Attenborough polar ship: Here's an inside peak"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-e ... nside-peak

Built to carry mountains.

Author:  benhall.1 [ Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Can't read it wrong

kkrell wrote:
Good old BBC:

"Sir David Attenborough polar ship: Here's an inside peak"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-e ... nside-peak

Built to carry mountains.

Sadly, they've now corrected the spelling.

Author:  kkrell [ Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Can't read it wrong

benhall.1 wrote:
kkrell wrote:
Good old BBC:

"Sir David Attenborough polar ship: Here's an inside peak"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-e ... nside-peak

Built to carry mountains.

Sadly, they've now corrected the spelling.

Huh. I didn't know they read C&F. Public shaming.

Author:  PB+J [ Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Can't read it wrong

I’ve been grading college student papers, and editing PhD and MA chapters, and revising my own books and articles, for thirty years. It’s is a complete relief to be able to ignore typos, grammatical foul ups and apostrophe faults.

It’s heartening, sort of, that so many people care about correct usage.

Author:  kkrell [ Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Can't read it wrong

PB+J wrote:
I’ve been grading college student papers, and editing PhD and MA chapters, and revising my own books and articles, for thirty years. It’s is a complete relief to be able to ignore typos, grammatical foul ups and apostrophe faults.

It’s heartening, sort of, that so many people care about correct usage.

Author:  Tunborough [ Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Can't read it wrong

kkrell wrote:
PB+J wrote:
I’ve been grading college student papers, and editing PhD and MA chapters, and revising my own books and articles, for thirty years. It’s is a complete relief to be able to ignore typos, grammatical foul ups and apostrophe faults.

It’s heartening, sort of, that so many people care about correct usage.
The apostrophe belongs; it's is the "is" that doesn't. I do that it all the time. :wink:

Author:  PB+J [ Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Can't read it wrong

Tunborough wrote:
kkrell wrote:
PB+J wrote:
I’ve been grading college student papers, and editing PhD and MA chapters, and revising my own books and articles, for thirty years. It’s is a complete relief to be able to ignore typos, grammatical foul ups and apostrophe faults.

It’s heartening, sort of, that so many people care about correct usage.
The apostrophe belongs; it's is the "is" that doesn't. I do that it all the time. :wink:



Typing on an iPad. But also it’s a pleasure to not have to care

Author:  Nanohedron [ Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Can't read it wrong

kkrell wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
kkrell wrote:
Good old BBC:

"Sir David Attenborough polar ship: Here's an inside peak"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-e ... nside-peak

Built to carry mountains.

Sadly, they've now corrected the spelling.

Huh. I didn't know they read C&F. Public shaming.

C&F: Come for the whistles, stay for the literacy.

PB+J wrote:
It’s is a complete relief to be able to ignore typos, grammatical foul ups and apostrophe faults.

I don't know how you do it. Mind you, I don't go out of my way to look for them; they jump out at me. That said, I can ignore them after the fact, but it depends on the source. Here? Sure, usually. In the publishing industry? Not so much, my friend. Can I ignore my own? Never in a million years. But that's my affliction.

It's been said that pros are readily letting autocorrect do their work for them. Maybe it's true, but old-fashioned as I am, I would think that a person of letters would pull their own weight, and just as a matter of principle if you need a reason. My new phone came with text autocorrect as the default setting. It was always dead wrong, so what do you think? Took me a while to figure out how to turn that maddening feature off, but I did it.

Maybe I'm just not multitasking enough.

Author:  walrii [ Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Can't read it wrong

Nanohedron wrote:
Having crones for lunch just doesn't sound right.

Suppose the crone was partially dead? Would that make a difference? And, surely, having her for lunch would be better than eating her for lunch.

Quote:
They look like fat grubs.

All the crones I’ve seen look like scrawny old women.

Author:  kkrell [ Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Can't read it wrong

BBC headline again: "US woman's boyfriend 'cut brakes before deadly car rash'"

Gonna need some ointment for that.

"A Pennsylvania man has been charged with homicide after admitting to police he cut his girlfriend's brakes in order to make a crack pipe, US media reports.

John Jenkins, 39, is being held without bail for the death of Tammy Fox, 38, who died after her car veered off the road, striking a tree and parked cars"

"Mr Jenkins told police Fox was "driving him crazy" looking for a pipe to smoke crack in, according to local media.

He reportedly told police that instead of going to the store to buy a pipe, he cut the brakes while trying to find a piece of metal to use."

Author:  Nanohedron [ Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Can't read it wrong

kkrell wrote:
...he cut his girlfriend's brakes in order to make a crack pipe...

Words fail.

Author:  kkrell [ Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Can't read it wrong

Nanohedron wrote:
kkrell wrote:
...he cut his girlfriend's brakes in order to make a crack pipe...

Words fail.

Brakes, too. What do they teach kids in school, anyway?

Page 18 of 27 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/