Can't read it wrong

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Can't read it wrong

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Okay, try this on for size: "A quintessentially American crime declines: Robbing banks doesn’t pay as it used to."

Grammatically correct, all of it. But at least where I live, the last clause is an entrenched colloquial idiom: "doesn't pay like it used to" (or even "[it] don't pay like it used to" if you're really getting down and dirty). Idioms are famous for grammatical waywardness, and to me that is part of their power, if that makes any sense. I use "doesn't pay like it used to" myself as a relaxed way of describing all kinds of diminishing returns, not just monetary, and because it's an idiom, a quip, I think nothing of it. So I read the above and think, Now the writer's trying too hard. In correcting the idiom, the result is far too stiff.

YMMV.

I know, I know. I'm a tough crowd.
Hmmm ... yet for me the usage "like it used to" sounds almost knowingly colloquial and, OTOH, in the context "as it used to" sounds simply natural and unexceptional.

Cultural context may be everything in this instance.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Could you expand on "knowingly colloquial"? I have an idea, but I'd rather not go off half-cocked without knowing more of what you mean.
benhall.1 wrote:Cultural context may be everything in this instance.
FWIW, I just Googled "doesn't pay like it used to", and aside from one citing of the very headline I quoted using "as" (Washington Post; the other iteration of the same article in the Bryan-College Station Eagle used "like", as it happens, so someone somewhere already has an issue with this for whatever reason), on the very first page alone was repetition upon repetition of the "like" form. From this, I expect subsequent pages to be little different. I don't attribute this to broad misuse, or to a mere parroting of my keywords, but rather to the formulaic language that it is, and its sources are wide and disparate. This cannot simply be a quaint phenomenon of my own little region. It may be an Americanism, however, judging from your take on it. If that's the case then the Washington Post, being an American rag, is even less to be excused for needlessly hyper-correcting a common American colloquial formation.

Just to be sure, I also Googled "doesn't pay as it used to", and what did I come up with? The same article, but otherwise zilch. I should think it's clear enough that "doesn't pay like it used to" is established formulaic language, at least in the States.

Let us remember that the Washington Post has gotten well-deserved lashings for its parade of grammatical offenses. If its writers don't know the difference between "lets" and "let's", then perhaps it ought to be no surprise that they have little grasp of the everyday intimacies of their own language, as well.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

I've just tried the Google experiment myself. How odd ... I must look up Fowler's.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:I must look up Fowler's.
I have a sneaking suspicion that the phrase postdates Fowler.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:I must look up Fowler's.
I have a sneaking suspicion that the phrase postdates Fowler.
Ah. You could well be right.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I have a sneaking suspicion that the phrase postdates Fowler.
Ah. You could well be right.
Well, the original, anyway. I'm guessing you might as well look up Aelfric, then.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Nanohedron wrote: FWIW, I just Googled "doesn't pay like it used to", and aside from one citing of the very headline I quoted using "as" (Washington Post; the other iteration of the same article in the Bryan-College Station Eagle used "like", as it happens, so someone somewhere already has an issue with this for whatever reason), on the very first page alone was repetition upon repetition of the "like" form. From this, I expect subsequent pages to be little different.
FWIW, the WaPo has people who specifically write the headlines, separate from both the people who write the articles and copy editors.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

chas wrote:separate from both the people who write the articles
There are only two people who write all the articles in the Washington Post??!!?!?

:twisted:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

chas wrote:FWIW, the WaPo has people who specifically write the headlines, separate from both the people who write the articles and copy editors.
A closer glimpse into the dark machine. I keep imagining that headline writers would have a flair for haiku. OTOH, after a hard day of wordsmithing under pressure, more writing's probably the last thing I'd want to do.
chas

Post by chas »

I can't find it, but Wait Wait Don't Tell Me said the NYT had this headline this past week:

New Emails Tied to Weiner
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

From an article about a stray croc in Queensland:

"...officials plan on taking the to an crocodile farm."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

A two-for-one, here:

"And until [...] their ilk introduce some kind of authentication features, these problems will only exarcerbate."
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Totally fabricated, I confess, but an illustration of what a nasty language English is:

I saw the horse run in the race fall past fall last.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Tunborough wrote:Totally fabricated, I confess, but an illustration of what a nasty language English is:

I saw the horse run in the race fall past fall last.
Doesn't work in British English.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I don't see it working in American English, either. Must be those silly Canadians.