Can't read it wrong

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Can't read it wrong

Post by benhall.1 »

kkrell wrote:I don't see it working in American English, either. Must be those silly Canadians.
:lol:
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

How disappointing.
Of a group of horses, there was one horse in particular, a horse whose owners ran it in a race that was held this past autumn. The horses fell down, and the one horse in question was the last to fall. I saw that horse fall.

I saw {the horse [that was] run in {the race [held this past] fall}} fall last.
I admit the construction "fall past" is awkward. I originally considered "fall last", which I thought would be understood in Britain--on this continent, "last fall" would be far more common. However, that leaves the sentence ambiguous: Was the race held last autumn, or did the horses fall last autumn?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

"I saw the horse run in the race fall past fall last."

As Tunborough indicates, this Yank would have better understood "I saw the horse run in the race last fall fall last." It suggests to me that the race was last autumn. "I saw the horse run in the race fall last last fall" would more suggest that the horse fell last autumn. Either way, Tunborough: go to your room. :twisted:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:"I saw the horse run in the race fall past fall last."

As Tunborough indicates, this Yank would have better understood "I saw the horse run in the race last fall fall last." It suggests to me that the race was last autumn. "I saw the horse run in the race fall last last fall" would more suggest that the horse fell last autumn. Either way, Tunborough: go to your room. :twisted:
I literally have no idea what you're talking about. :-?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:

I saw the horse ([that was] run in the race last fall) fall last.

I saw the horse ([that was] run in the race) fall last, last fall.

Any better?

There is much to be said for punctuation, but sometimes punctuation can only serve to remedially help a confusingly-constructed sentence seem clearer, as I have attempted above. As you can see, punctuation cannot save the above sentences as they are. So take note: In good writing, coherent construction should always come first; style can be sorted out later.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

benhall.1 wrote:I literally have no idea what you're talking about. :-?
Could it be there's a difficulty with taking, "the horse run," across the pond? Does British usage of "run" include the owner (subject) entering a horse (object) to compete in a race?

"E.P. Taylor ran Northern Dancer in the Queen's Plate."
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:

I saw the horse ([that was] run in the race last fall) fall last.

I saw the horse ([that was] run in the race) fall last, last fall.

Any better?

There is much to be said for punctuation, but sometimes punctuation can only serve to remedially help a confusingly-constructed sentence seem clearer, as I have attempted above. As you can see, punctuation cannot save the above sentences as they are. So take note: In good writing, coherent construction should always come first; style can be sorted out later.
The trouble is, since "fall" here can only mean when someone or something falls, it doesn't really make sense. I know, from an intellectual point of view, that you use the word "fall" to mean autumn, but, because it isn't in my native language, I stumble over everything else. I don't know when you are meaning "fall" and when you are meaning "autumn". So your re-arrangement of words didn't really help. :-?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:...["fall" meaning "autumn"] isn't in my native language...
C'mon, now. It may not be used in the UK now, but you guys actually invented it. Originally it was "fall of the year" or "fall of the leaf" (with "fall" in its "drop" meaning), but in around the 1500s these figurative expressions were shortened to the simpler "fall". It took only a scant century later for "autumn" to be in customary use, and one can see the utilitarian logic in that. In this way Britain lost "fall", but the Colonies kept both (although "autumn" is scarcely used in practice). As ever, we in the New World retain some archaisms that are often erroneously laid at our doorstep.

What was autumn called in English before "fall of the year"? "Harvest", apparently. Here's an interesting, informative (and not all that long) article that covers the above and more:

http://www.livescience.com/34260-fall-a ... names.html
benhall.1 wrote:I don't know when you are meaning "fall" and when you are meaning "autumn".
Context. It's easy. :twisted:
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

""I saw the horse run in the race fall last last fall"

Last time that horse fell was in the previous autumn. Gods know how many times it fell before that. I may have missed any falls it's had since. Did you see any?
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

kkrell wrote:""I saw the horse run in the race fall last last fall"

Last time that horse fell was in the previous autumn. Gods know how many times it fell before that. I may have missed any falls it's had since. Did you see any?
Ah. Got it. Thanks. :thumbsup:
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Recently, I'm seeing a lot of people using the phrase "here, here!" Honestly, my initial response is to wonder what they mean by that. It takes me a while to figure out that they are trying to use the phrase "Hear, hear!" and just don't know what it means. Trouble is, for a while, I genuinely don't know what they mean. :(
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

benhall.1 wrote:Recently, I'm seeing a lot of people using the phrase "here, here!" Honestly, my initial response is to wonder what they mean by that. It takes me a while to figure out that they are trying to use the phrase "Hear, hear!" and just don't know what it means. Trouble is, for a while, I genuinely don't know what they mean. :(
Thear, thear.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

:lol:
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

You guys are laughing at me. :(
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, you have to admit that kkrell was pretty sharp, there.

But I'm in agreement. I've seen "Here, here!" so many times by now, it's numbing. One then wonders, "What do they think they mean by that?" My guess is that it's akin to "Here! Over here! Me! I agree!"