Can't read it wrong

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Can't read it wrong

Post by rorybbellows »

benhall.1 wrote:
john wrote:I'm not sure what a shaken back d is. Where can I hear one?
Do the shaken back and put the freshness back?
Why finish off with a question mark when there is no question being asked, irritating and ironic in equal measure.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Just being silly, Rory. I'm sorry it irritated you.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

benhall.1 wrote:Just being silly, Rory. I'm sorry it irritated you.
Ah, you're alright , I'll get over it ,in time .

Rory
ps I do the shake and vac myself.
I'm Spartacus .
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

kkrell wrote:Here is another example of the BBC's wonderful writing skill (italics mine):
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-40553992 wrote:Police in India say they have arrested a 60-year-old man who fatally shot his wife for serving his dinner late.

Ashok Kumar came home drunk on Saturday night and got into an argument with his wife, Rupesh Singh, a senior police officer in Ghaziabad city near the capital Delhi, told the BBC.

Sunaina, 55, was taken to hospital with a gunshot wound to her head, but by then she had died, reports said.

Mr Kumar has confessed to his crime and now regrets his actions, Mr Singh said.
Wait - is Singh the policeman, not the wife?

Mr. Kumar - don't expect dinner on time tomorrow, either.
Typically, male Sikhs have the surname Singh (="lion"), while female Sikhs take the surname Kaur (="princess").
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

s1m0n wrote:Typically, male Sikhs have the surname Singh (="lion"), while female Sikhs take the surname Kaur (="princess").
Thank you for this information, which no one in all my years attempted to teach me. Perhaps they shouldn't marry, being different species. Now we know what symbols to put on the rest room doors. I suppose as the Lion is sometimes referred to as the King of the Jungle, we have a King and a Princess, both royalty of a sort.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

kkrell wrote:
s1m0n wrote:Typically, male Sikhs have the surname Singh (="lion"), while female Sikhs take the surname Kaur (="princess").
Thank you for this information, which no one in all my years attempted to teach me. Perhaps they shouldn't marry, being different species. Now we know what symbols to put on the rest room doors. I suppose as the Lion is sometimes referred to as the King of the Jungle, we have a King and a Princess, both royalty of a sort.
When my friends Jasbir Singh and Geeta Kaur had their fourth child, the midwife said to Mrs Kaur, "Isn't it about time you two got married?" :)
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

A number of Sikhs, in this country certainly, use Singh/Kaur as a middle name, as with our current defence minister, Harjit Singh Sajjan.
chas

Post by chas »

benhall.1 wrote: When my friends Jasbir Singh and Geeta Kaur had their fourth child, the midwife said to Mrs Kaur, "Isn't it about time you two got married?" :)
I would have thought that on the other side of the pond, they'd be more used to wives not taking their husbands' last names. It frustrates me that in the US, some things are just more difficult because my wife doesn't share my last name. She carries a copy of our marriage certificate lest something come up that requires her to prove we're married.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

chas wrote:
benhall.1 wrote: When my friends Jasbir Singh and Geeta Kaur had their fourth child, the midwife said to Mrs Kaur, "Isn't it about time you two got married?" :)
I would have thought that on the other side of the pond, they'd be more used to wives not taking their husbands' last names. It frustrates me that in the US, some things are just more difficult because my wife doesn't share my last name. She carries a copy of our marriage certificate lest something come up that requires her to prove we're married.
This was quite some while ago. 30 years? I probably should have mentioned that ...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

"They also urged residents to stay whereshelter in place."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/gun ... ar-AApefBR
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
chas

Post by chas »

I glanced at the label of my shower gel and saw:

Net wt. 13.5 fl. oz. (400 mL)

Fluid ounces and mL are units of volume, not weight. I'm sure that at a major multinational, several people have to sign off on it before it goes to the printer and is pasted onto bottles; I'm surprised none of them caught it.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

chas wrote:I glanced at the label of my shower gel and saw:

Fluid ounces and mL are units of volume, not weight. I'm sure that at a major multinational, several people have to sign off on it before it goes to the printer and is pasted onto bottles; I'm surprised none of them caught it.
That's awful. That's exactly the sort of thing that has me puzzled for days, weeks, and sometimes months on end. Just for peace of mind, I'd have to throw that shower gel away.
chas

Post by chas »

benhall.1 wrote:
chas wrote:I glanced at the label of my shower gel and saw:

That's awful. That's exactly the sort of thing that has me puzzled for days, weeks, and sometimes months on end. Just for peace of mind, I'd have to throw that shower gel away.
It makes the skin of the metrologist in me crawl, but I'm able to keep my professional and personal lives separate.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

For me it's a case of 'can't read it right' even after having checked and found that mL (rather than ml) is normal on your side of the pond.

Why on earth would anyone adopt fonts that don't distinguish between l and 1 (or I and l)?
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

You may well have said it in the preceding pages, but the ones that really bug me are when 'then' & 'than' are used in the wrong context. Often makes passages of text unreadable. :(
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.