Can't read it wrong

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Can't read it wrong

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:But I'm in agreement. I've seen "Here, here!" so many times by now, it's numbing. One then wonders, "What do they think they mean by that?" My guess is that it's akin to "Here! Over here! Me! I agree!"
So basically what you're saying is that these days it's impossible not to be a narcissist?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

No, I'm saying it's impossible not to put words in people's mouths. :poke:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
inthevale
Tell us something.: Have discovered the tin whistle recently, love it and find it a fascinating musical instrument. I do not read music. But feel like I can enjoy the tin whistle in spite of these limitations. I am looking forward to hearing what other, more experienced players have to say about the tin whistle and what it can do.

Post by inthevale »

Ambiguity in written language should be easily correctable by choice of wording and correct punctuation. Assuming, as has been mentioned, the writer has a clear and coherent conception of what he or she is trying to say. Real time verbal communication is more flexible and context dependent. With exception of the near ubiquitous and lately all purpose use of the word "like". It's the Swiss Army knife of American English. Sometimes I count the number of "likes" in an overheard conversation in coffee shops and other public places. It gives me something to do while frantically fumbling for my MP3 player and earphones. :boggle:
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Well I think we have, or had, (according to the Somerset County Gazette) a 'yellow snow warning' here in Somerset. I was told to avoid the yellow snow.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
chas

Post by chas »

Boy, you must have an awful lot of Huskies in Somerset for there to be an entire yellow-snow storm!
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Here is one for you, from our own local rag:

http://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/ ... rom_ditch/

(Last year it was a story about a woman 'rescued from a life in Minehead', but that was a typo..... I think)

Found it: http://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/ ... _Minehead/
Phill

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Rhyne. That's a word outside my experience.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Rhyne. That's a word outside my experience.
I associate it more or less exclusively with Somerset, but don't think that's necessarily the case.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Where does the collective noun 'Heard' come from though?
Phill

Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

DrPhill wrote:Where does the collective noun 'Heard' come from though?
Here. Here.
walrii

Post by walrii »

I'm in the "poor spelling and grammar taints the source" camp. More frustrating to me is the lack of precision in speech and the antecedent imprecise thought. I have conversations like the one below daily.

"Did you go to the post office today?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because there was no need."

"What do you mean 'no need'?"

"I mean there was nothing I needed to do at the post office."

"But I asked you to mail that letter!"

"I did mail the letter."

"But you said you didn't go to the post office!"

"True. I didn't."

"But you said you mailed...."

"Also true. I dropped it in the post box at work."

Some will accuse me of taking words literally in order to confound the other party. To this accusation I plead guilty. But consider if the other party had simply begun the conversation with a precise question.

"Did you mail the letter I gave you?"

"Yes."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

The above example is rather trivial but I have similar conversations at work with my students and my fellow instructors. At work, the imprecision results from incorrect use of technical terms which have very precise meanings.

A more deliberate imprecision results when politicians of all stripes and other public figures "answer the question you wish the interviewer had asked" rather than the question asked. I abhor this dishonesty despite having used it on ocassion myself. However, there are two miscreants involved in this dishonesty: the public figure who uses it and the interviewer who lets him get away with it.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

I think I agree with everything in that last post of yours, walrii. :)

I nearly said "just about everything" but then realised that that could provoke the response, "Oh? What didn't you agree with?"

:)
walrii

Post by walrii »

benhall.1 wrote:I nearly said "just about everything" but then realised that that could provoke the response, "Oh? What didn't you agree with?"
Oh, my. First, that was very nice of you. Thank you. Second, at the risk of sounding ungrateful or perhaps even a little sarcastic (such is truly not my intent), what did you almost/sorta/maybe disagree with in a partial/momentary/unsure fashion? :wink:
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I thought this might fit in here:

Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

:lol:

How old is the pork?