Can't read it wrong

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Can't read it wrong

Post by kkrell »

Yesterday I had to initial a pre-printed contract with a physician acknowledging that California statue limited liability. I asked whose statue, Robert E. Lee's?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

kkrell wrote:Yesterday I had to initial a pre-printed contract with a physician acknowledging that California statue limited liability. I asked whose statue, Robert E. Lee's?
Oof! Edgy. :boggle:
petergo
Tell us something.: Hi! Trying to master tin whistle and hope to learn more here (after a bit of lurking the forums seem to be just the place for that)

Post by petergo »

I usually scan-read news and entertainment articles and rarely notice such mistakes. Though I once bought a very bad e-book version of Handmaid's Tale and it was a torture to read - sometimes there were missing spaces, commas, wrong random letters in words and it took me 5 minutes to figure out half a sentence. So I can understand the OP, careless writing makes reading next to impossible
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Is it wrong of me that when I read news headlines such as "Man sets fire with children in house" that I wonder why he didn't use matches instead?
walrii

Post by walrii »

kkrell wrote:Yesterday I had to initial a pre-printed contract with a physician acknowledging that California statue limited liability. I asked whose statue, Robert E. Lee's?
I'm almost certain California never had a statue of General Lee. Or if they did, I don't think they do now. California has statutes on that sort of thing. Although I will bow to kkrell's authority on the matter, seeing as he lives there.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/world/man- ... -1.3574168

"People try to run into the fire as part of their spiritual portion of Burning Man. ... It's part of their tenants of radical self-expression."

I like a spirituality that has that lived-in feel.
Last edited by Tunborough on Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

And another ...

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/sports/air ... -1.3567141

"The bank's interest was peaked when it became clear that others also were eager."

Sounds like peak-want-see to me.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Tunborough wrote:"The bank's interest was peaked when it became clear that others also were eager."
Excuse me while I go have a peak fit of pique. Don't peek.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
chas

Post by chas »

Tunborough wrote:
"The bank's interest was peaked when it became clear that others also were eager."
I'm sure when it peaked their interest it also wetted their appetite.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Things are going too far ...

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/autos/niss ... -1.3576666

"It promises a travel range of about 400 kilometres or 150 miles before needing another charge."

I'll take the metric version, thanks.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Tunborough wrote:Things are going too far ...

"It promises a travel range of about 400 kilometres or 150 miles before needing another charge."

That article is ambiguous. In fact, I think it probably is truly impossible to understand. The full quote of that bit, including all the words you missed out there, is that it "promises a range of about 400 kilometres in Japanese driving conditions or 150 miles in the U.S., before needing another charge." But one is left wondering just how much difference the change of driving conditions between the Japan and the US could possibly make. It does seem excessive.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

The article has been updated, at least twice. What I quoted was exactly what the article said when I read it, cut and pasted. They tweaked it a bit before you saw it. Since then, they've tried to correct the math, but ended up breaking it even further:

"The zero-emissions vehicle ... promises a range of about 400 kilometres in Japanese driving conditions or 240 kilometres in the U.S., before needing another charge."

They've also added the helpful information, "Gas-engine cars generally get as much as 800 kilometres or 965 kilometres on a tank of gas." I've no idea what to make of that.

Clearly, the Associated Press has no editors left on staff.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Tunborough wrote:The article has been updated, at least twice. What I quoted was exactly what the article said when I read it, cut and pasted. They tweaked it a bit before you saw it. Since then, they've tried to correct the math, but ended up breaking it even further:

"The zero-emissions vehicle ... promises a range of about 400 kilometres in Japanese driving conditions or 240 kilometres in the U.S., before needing another charge."

They've also added the helpful information, "Gas-engine cars generally get as much as 800 kilometres or 965 kilometres on a tank of gas." I've no idea what to make of that.

Clearly, the Associated Press has no editors left on staff.
Oh blimey! Goodness only knows what's going on then!
walrii

Post by walrii »

benhall.1 wrote:
Tunborough wrote:Things are going too far ...

That article is ambiguous. In fact, I think it probably is truly impossible to understand. The full quote of that bit, including all the words you missed out there, is that it "promises a range of about 400 kilometres in Japanese driving conditions or 150 miles in the U.S., before needing another charge." But one is left wondering just how much difference the change of driving conditions between the Japan and the US could possibly make. It does seem excessive.
Air drag on a moving object goes up as the square of the speed. Cars get considerably better mileage at 60 km/hr than at 120 km/hr because the aerodynamic drag is four times higher at 120 km/hr. Electric cars are subject to the same laws of physics as gas cars, so an electric car driven at the higher average US speeds won't go as far on a tank of electrons as one driven at the slower Japaneses pace.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Tor

Post by Tor »

Yep, when driving in Japan the speed almost never goes above 60km/h in practice.