It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Author Message
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't read it wrong
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 3581
Location: Los Angeles
Yesterday I had to initial a pre-printed contract with a physician acknowledging that California statue limited liability. I asked whose statue, Robert E. Lee's?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't read it wrong
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:22 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:21 pm
Posts: 11064
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
kkrell wrote:
Yesterday I had to initial a pre-printed contract with a physician acknowledging that California statue limited liability. I asked whose statue, Robert E. Lee's?

Oof! Edgy. :boggle:

_________________
"Only connect!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't read it wrong
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:58 am
Posts: 8
I usually scan-read news and entertainment articles and rarely notice such mistakes. Though I once bought a very bad e-book version of Handmaid's Tale and it was a torture to read - sometimes there were missing spaces, commas, wrong random letters in words and it took me 5 minutes to figure out half a sentence. So I can understand the OP, careless writing makes reading next to impossible


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't read it wrong
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 3581
Location: Los Angeles
Is it wrong of me that when I read news headlines such as "Man sets fire with children in house" that I wonder why he didn't use matches instead?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't read it wrong
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:21 pm
Posts: 1140
Location: Burkburnett, TX
kkrell wrote:
Yesterday I had to initial a pre-printed contract with a physician acknowledging that California statue limited liability. I asked whose statue, Robert E. Lee's?

I'm almost certain California never had a statue of General Lee. Or if they did, I don't think they do now. California has statutes on that sort of thing. Although I will bow to kkrell's authority on the matter, seeing as he lives there.

_________________
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't read it wrong
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:59 pm
Posts: 695
Location: Southwestern Ontario
http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/world/man-dies-after-rushing-into-burning-man-festival-flames-1.3574168

"People try to run into the fire as part of their spiritual portion of Burning Man. ... It's part of their tenants of radical self-expression."

I like a spirituality that has that lived-in feel.


Last edited by Tunborough on Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't read it wrong
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:59 pm
Posts: 695
Location: Southwestern Ontario
And another ...

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/sports/air-canada-centre-home-of-maple-leafs-and-raptors-to-be-renamed-scotiabank-arena-1.3567141

"The bank's interest was peaked when it became clear that others also were eager."

Sounds like peak-want-see to me.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't read it wrong
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:40 pm 
Offline
Moderatorer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 32395
Location: Minneapolis
Tunborough wrote:
"The bank's interest was peaked when it became clear that others also were eager."

Excuse me while I go have a peak fit of pique. Don't peek.

_________________
"Dreams about the future are always filled with gadgets." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

"An anti-lunacy gadget would be nice..." - Nano


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't read it wrong
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2001 6:00 pm
Posts: 7328
Location: East Coast US
Tunborough wrote:

"The bank's interest was peaked when it became clear that others also were eager."


I'm sure when it peaked their interest it also wetted their appetite.

_________________
Charlie
Whorfin whistles -- sample 1 -- sample 2
Don't blame me, I voted for Cthulhu


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't read it wrong
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:59 pm
Posts: 695
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Things are going too far ...

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/autos/nissan-shows-leaf-electric-car-revamped-with-more-range-1.3576666

"It promises a travel range of about 400 kilometres or 150 miles before needing another charge."

I'll take the metric version, thanks.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't read it wrong
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:53 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:21 pm
Posts: 11064
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
Tunborough wrote:
Things are going too far ...

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/autos/nissan-shows-leaf-electric-car-revamped-with-more-range-1.3576666

"It promises a travel range of about 400 kilometres or 150 miles before needing another charge."

I'll take the metric version, thanks.

That article is ambiguous. In fact, I think it probably is truly impossible to understand. The full quote of that bit, including all the words you missed out there, is that it "promises a range of about 400 kilometres in Japanese driving conditions or 150 miles in the U.S., before needing another charge." But one is left wondering just how much difference the change of driving conditions between the Japan and the US could possibly make. It does seem excessive.

_________________
"Only connect!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't read it wrong
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:59 pm
Posts: 695
Location: Southwestern Ontario
The article has been updated, at least twice. What I quoted was exactly what the article said when I read it, cut and pasted. They tweaked it a bit before you saw it. Since then, they've tried to correct the math, but ended up breaking it even further:

"The zero-emissions vehicle ... promises a range of about 400 kilometres in Japanese driving conditions or 240 kilometres in the U.S., before needing another charge."

They've also added the helpful information, "Gas-engine cars generally get as much as 800 kilometres or 965 kilometres on a tank of gas." I've no idea what to make of that.

Clearly, the Associated Press has no editors left on staff.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't read it wrong
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:36 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:21 pm
Posts: 11064
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
Tunborough wrote:
The article has been updated, at least twice. What I quoted was exactly what the article said when I read it, cut and pasted. They tweaked it a bit before you saw it. Since then, they've tried to correct the math, but ended up breaking it even further:

"The zero-emissions vehicle ... promises a range of about 400 kilometres in Japanese driving conditions or 240 kilometres in the U.S., before needing another charge."

They've also added the helpful information, "Gas-engine cars generally get as much as 800 kilometres or 965 kilometres on a tank of gas." I've no idea what to make of that.

Clearly, the Associated Press has no editors left on staff.

Oh blimey! Goodness only knows what's going on then!

_________________
"Only connect!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't read it wrong
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:21 pm
Posts: 1140
Location: Burkburnett, TX
benhall.1 wrote:
Tunborough wrote:
Things are going too far ...

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/autos/nissan-shows-leaf-electric-car-revamped-with-more-range-1.3576666

"It promises a travel range of about 400 kilometres or 150 miles before needing another charge."

I'll take the metric version, thanks.

That article is ambiguous. In fact, I think it probably is truly impossible to understand. The full quote of that bit, including all the words you missed out there, is that it "promises a range of about 400 kilometres in Japanese driving conditions or 150 miles in the U.S., before needing another charge." But one is left wondering just how much difference the change of driving conditions between the Japan and the US could possibly make. It does seem excessive.

Air drag on a moving object goes up as the square of the speed. Cars get considerably better mileage at 60 km/hr than at 120 km/hr because the aerodynamic drag is four times higher at 120 km/hr. Electric cars are subject to the same laws of physics as gas cars, so an electric car driven at the higher average US speeds won't go as far on a tank of electrons as one driven at the slower Japaneses pace.

_________________
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't read it wrong
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:23 am
Posts: 266
Location: Europe and Japan
Yep, when driving in Japan the speed almost never goes above 60km/h in practice.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.144s | 13 Queries | GZIP : On ]
(dh)