It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Author Message
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't read it wrong
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:34 pm 
Offline
Moderatorer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 33193
Location: Minneapolis
Image

First time I ever heard of a crosne.

_________________
"Time is the wisest counselor of all." - Pericles

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't read it wrong
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 3733
Location: Los Angeles
Had to look it up myself:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stachys_affinis
"Stachys affinis, commonly called crosne, Chinese artichoke,[2] Japanese artichoke,[2] knotroot,[2] and artichoke betony"

_________________
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
http://www.worldtrad.org


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't read it wrong
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:47 pm 
Offline
Moderatorer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 33193
Location: Minneapolis
I was, like, Crawz-nee? What's a crawz-nee? Then I found out it got the name from the French village where it was first known to be cultivated in Europe. French, then: One pronounces it "crone". I think I like "chorogi" better. Having crones for lunch just doesn't sound right.

They look like fat grubs.

_________________
"Time is the wisest counselor of all." - Pericles

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't read it wrong
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 3733
Location: Los Angeles
Good old BBC:

"Sir David Attenborough polar ship: Here's an inside peak"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-e ... nside-peak

Built to carry mountains.

_________________
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
http://www.worldtrad.org


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't read it wrong
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:18 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:21 pm
Posts: 11600
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
kkrell wrote:
Good old BBC:

"Sir David Attenborough polar ship: Here's an inside peak"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-e ... nside-peak

Built to carry mountains.

Sadly, they've now corrected the spelling.

_________________
"Only connect!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't read it wrong
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 3733
Location: Los Angeles
benhall.1 wrote:
kkrell wrote:
Good old BBC:

"Sir David Attenborough polar ship: Here's an inside peak"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-e ... nside-peak

Built to carry mountains.

Sadly, they've now corrected the spelling.

Huh. I didn't know they read C&F. Public shaming.

_________________
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
http://www.worldtrad.org


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't read it wrong
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:40 am
Posts: 95
I’ve been grading college student papers, and editing PhD and MA chapters, and revising my own books and articles, for thirty years. It’s is a complete relief to be able to ignore typos, grammatical foul ups and apostrophe faults.

It’s heartening, sort of, that so many people care about correct usage.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't read it wrong
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 3733
Location: Los Angeles
PB+J wrote:
I’ve been grading college student papers, and editing PhD and MA chapters, and revising my own books and articles, for thirty years. It’s is a complete relief to be able to ignore typos, grammatical foul ups and apostrophe faults.

It’s heartening, sort of, that so many people care about correct usage.

_________________
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
http://www.worldtrad.org


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't read it wrong
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:59 pm
Posts: 782
Location: Southwestern Ontario
kkrell wrote:
PB+J wrote:
I’ve been grading college student papers, and editing PhD and MA chapters, and revising my own books and articles, for thirty years. It’s is a complete relief to be able to ignore typos, grammatical foul ups and apostrophe faults.

It’s heartening, sort of, that so many people care about correct usage.
The apostrophe belongs; it's is the "is" that doesn't. I do that it all the time. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't read it wrong
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:40 am
Posts: 95
Tunborough wrote:
kkrell wrote:
PB+J wrote:
I’ve been grading college student papers, and editing PhD and MA chapters, and revising my own books and articles, for thirty years. It’s is a complete relief to be able to ignore typos, grammatical foul ups and apostrophe faults.

It’s heartening, sort of, that so many people care about correct usage.
The apostrophe belongs; it's is the "is" that doesn't. I do that it all the time. :wink:



Typing on an iPad. But also it’s a pleasure to not have to care


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can't read it wrong
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:46 am 
Offline
Moderatorer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 33193
Location: Minneapolis
kkrell wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
kkrell wrote:
Good old BBC:

"Sir David Attenborough polar ship: Here's an inside peak"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-e ... nside-peak

Built to carry mountains.

Sadly, they've now corrected the spelling.

Huh. I didn't know they read C&F. Public shaming.

C&F: Come for the whistles, stay for the literacy.

PB+J wrote:
It’s is a complete relief to be able to ignore typos, grammatical foul ups and apostrophe faults.

I don't know how you do it. Mind you, I don't go out of my way to look for them; they jump out at me. That said, I can ignore them after the fact, but it depends on the source. Here? Sure, usually. In the publishing industry? Not so much, my friend. Can I ignore my own? Never in a million years. But that's my affliction.

It's been said that pros are readily letting autocorrect do their work for them. Maybe it's true, but old-fashioned as I am, I would think that a person of letters would pull their own weight, and just as a matter of principle if you need a reason. My new phone came with text autocorrect as the default setting. It was always dead wrong, so what do you think? Took me a while to figure out how to turn that maddening feature off, but I did it.

Maybe I'm just not multitasking enough.

_________________
"Time is the wisest counselor of all." - Pericles

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.113s | 11 Queries | GZIP : On ]
(dh)