Can't read it wrong

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tunborough
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Can't read it wrong

Post by Tunborough »

The Beeb gives a clearer explanation of the numbers: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-41170144.
The BBC wrote:Because different territories have different tests for electric vehicles, the new Leaf's quoted range varies according to where it will be sold:
  • in Europe it is 378km (235 miles)
  • in Japan it is 400km (248 miles)
  • in the US it is 241km (150 miles)
Electric cars tend to achieve about 20-25% below the European quoted figures in real-world tests.
That still doesn't explain AP's inconsistent figures for gas engines, 800 km or 965 km. With my fuel-efficient gasoline-engine car, I'd be lucky to get 600 km before the tank ran dry.
Tor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Tor »

I rented an Audi A4 once, when I was on a company mission. Got 1250 km out of that fuel tank. One reason for that was the live indicator showing how far I could drive on the remaining fuel.. that changed my driving dramatically. It was funny though, after filling up the tank it would start out showing I could get 750 km out of the remaining fuel. Then as I drove on it would creep up and up for a few hours.. unless I stared passing cars and the like. I did keep around 90km/h - 100km/h though, most of the time. As the tank was around 80 liters that would be around 0.64l/10km, which is not bad at that speed.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

"An average 7-ounce [Moscow Mule] serving has 171 calories, which brakes down to about 24 calories per ounce."

That does it. We have to make homonyms illegal.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:"An average 7-ounce [Moscow Mule] serving has 171 calories, which brakes down to about 24 calories per ounce."

Absolutely. Heteronyms rule. :)
chas

Post by chas »

Nanohedron wrote:"An average 7-ounce [Moscow Mule] serving has 171 calories, which brakes down to about 24 calories per ounce."

But without them we wouldn't have that sign near work areas -- "Highway workers - give them a brake," which is actually a properly perfect use of a homophone.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

chas wrote:

But without them we wouldn't have that sign near work areas -- "Highway workers - give them a brake," which is actually a properly perfect use of a homophone.
You just have to go and be bloody reasonable, don't you. :really:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
chas

Post by chas »

Nanohedron wrote:
chas wrote:

You just have to go and be bloody reasonable, don't you. :really:
Geez, now I miss Walden. :cry:
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Could businesses please spell check their communications, whether email, advertisements, websites, etc.?

Today, I received an email from Western Digital regarding their backup hard drives.

"Subject: Would you lose all your data if lighting strikes?"

(No, although I might have to put on sunglasses).

Image:
Large yellow box showing one of their drives, with the heading in GIANT BLACK LETTERS:
"WHEN LIGHTENING STRIKES, What's Your Backup Plan?"

(Keep my sunglasses on.)
walrii

Post by walrii »

Nanohedron wrote:That does it. We have to make homonyms illegal.
Nano, I am shocked, shocked I say. How politically incorrect can you get? (Don't answer that. This is a family forum.) Why, even our president is an admitted homophone. While I am a committed heteronym, some of my best friends are homonyms (Smith, Carpenter, Cartwright and Butcher, to name four). :D
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
walrii

Post by walrii »

kkrell wrote:Could businesses please spell check their communications, whether email, advertisements, websites, etc.?

Today, I received an email from Western Digital regarding their backup hard drives.

"Subject: Would you lose all your data if lighting strikes?"

(No, although I might have to put on sunglasses).

Image:
Large yellow box showing one of their drives, with the heading in GIANT BLACK LETTERS:
"WHEN LIGHTENING STRIKES, What's Your Backup Plan?"

(Keep my sunglasses on.)
If lighting strikes, I'll put on sunglasses.
If lightening strikes, I'll buy pants one size smaller.
If lightning strikes, I create my own lighting (well grounded chap that I am) as well as lighten the load on Mother Earth by one soul.
The Walrus

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

walrii wrote:How politically incorrect can you get?
Trust me when I tell you that I have plumbed the depths. But I've learned - to my woe - that it's a good idea to pick your battles.
walrii

Post by walrii »

Nanohedron wrote:it's a good idea to pick your battles.
Truth. That's what's so nice about C&F. Our "battles," when they occur, are the linguistic equivalent of fights with nerf sabers - lots of running around, giggling and having fun.
The Walrus

kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

BBC online story title: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41950685

"US Marine who lost both legs running 31 marathons in a month"

Maybe he should have stopped at 30.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

kkrell wrote: Maybe he should have stopped at 30.
Well, I laughed.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

walrii wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:it's a good idea to pick your battles.
Truth. That's what's so nice about C&F. Our "battles," when they occur, are the linguistic equivalent of fights with nerf sabers - lots of running around, giggling and having fun.
Well, usually. We do have our rougher moments, but they're uncommon. For the most part, this is a pretty chill bunch. :)