Supercat?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Supercat?

Post by Nanohedron »

So I have a new cat, Lester. He's around 2, maybe 3 years old. He's relentlessly outgoing, curious, interfering, and a nutjob, as can be expected from his merry tribe, your lithe Siamese-shaped triangular-faced types. His philosophy is that it ain't a party until something gets broken.

He's particularly noticed that buttons, levers and knobs get things done, notably in the opening doors department. Sometimes he'll repeatedly jump and jump at the apartment entry doorknob, finagling and trying to do what I do with it. Cute, but fat chance, thought I. You have no opposable thumbs, and you're way too short. Well, he's done it. I went out briefly to do something or another and when I got back, there he was in the main hallway, looking at me. If the latch handle had been a lever-type I wouldn't have been all that impressed, but we're talking about a knob, here - a whole different ballgame. I'll count this time as sheer dumb luck, but if he starts doing it more often I won't be able to help but admire his mad skillz all the more. And I'll have to lock the door more often. But I won't mind. Supercats require superkeepers, and I'm happy to be up to the calling.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Supercat?

Post by kkrell »

Congrats on the new cat. Look into baby-proofing materials that make door knobs harder to use. Oftena spinning cover or something to make it more difficult for tiny hands/(paws?) to grip, then turn.

There are a variety of solutions. Here's one example:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Thanks, but nah. I like the idea that he can do this - the S.O. reports that Lester's worked the doorknob with success a couple of other times - so I don't want to take that triumph away from him. Whether he gets out by doorknob or slipperiness - neither of which is often - he soon lets me gather him up and put him back while he purrs. He doesn't overdo playing hard-to-get, because it's ritual, a sort of quality time. Like everything else, it's a game to him; once he's out, he's scored, and that seems to be enough. And I'm fine with that. If I absolutely don't want him out, I can always lock the door. Simple. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

A friend had a cat that would jump up
hooking his paws around the door knob,
swinging his body left or right at the same
time turning the knob and opening the door.
A really smart cat.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa