Stay Hydrated!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Stay Hydrated!

Post by Nanohedron »

Tor wrote:Argh, a typo in my post.. one feature I don't like about the forum is that we can't edit our posts.
But you can edit. There's a deadline, is all. So long as your post isn't over 72 hours old - which unfortunately yours is - at the bottom right of your post field would be a clicky button that says "Edit".

If after 72 hours you want to edit, you would have to contact a moderator for that. Luckily you still have time yet to edit the new post above on your own. :wink:

It's been that way for quite some time.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Tor

Post by Tor »

Yeah I know about the deadline. It's just that it makes very little sense to me. It's for some reason much harder to spot typos in one's own writing - it's much easier to notice it in someone else's. So when re-reading you'll just "see" what you thought you were writing, not what's there. So often it'll take some time before an error is spotted. And then you have those common cases where the original information could do with an update because something changed.
I'm on a dozen or so forums, and there's only one other with an edit deadline. The rest don't have one, and there's really no need for it. I've heard about the mythical person-on-a-rampage deleting all their old posts in a sudden rage. That appears to be as common as the Tunguska event - I've never come across it after all these years.

-Tor
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Actually, we did have at least a couple of such events here when I was a newbie and things were more wild and freewheeling; another case I remember in particular didn't involve deleting, but it was a troll bizarrely editing his posts further and further in such a way as to cause problems, and it was hard to prove what he was doing unless someone paid close attention and made a record of it. So what followed is what we have now: Every time a general member edits, the post shows a record of the number of times it was edited. As to what (later, IIRC) precipitated the 72-hour deadline, I'm afraid I don't recall. I believe I was a mod by then, but although I didn't propose idea I couldn't come up with any real objection to it; it seemed reasonable that after 72 hours maybe editing just wasn't that important in the bigger picture. If it was, one could always PM a moderator for help.

The best practice, of course, is to preview before you submit.

EDIT: Talk about synchronicity ... here's a 4-year-old thread just resurrected today after I submitted this post, and as it happens the same topic comes up in passing at the top of the page:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89864&start=30
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

My big scare came a couple of years ago. On long runs I take a jar of powdered Gatorade. Beginning 2.5 miles/4 km from my house there are water fountains every 2 miles, and I take a swallow of Gatorade with my water. One weekend in August it was pretty hot -- probably mid-70's/25 C when I set out at 8 AM, mid-80's when I finished 2-3 hours later, dewpoint probably around 70. My last two water fountains were out of order, meaning I ran for about an hour with no hydration.

When I got home, I made a pitcher of tea. I drank one glass down, waited about 10 minutes, and drank another. I hurled it all up almost immediately after the second glass. So I'm a lot more careful now. I'm also into my 50's; until my incident, I didn't know that there's less awareness of dehydration as we age.

My first experience with dehydration wasn't acute, it was chronic. I was working in a printing factory. In order for the printed paper to dry properly, there wasn't any cooling in the summer. The hottest I remember it being was 136 F/58 C. My job was just to carry the signatures from the press to skids, to be sent on to the bindery. I was sweating off probably 20 lb/9 kg a day, but drinking enough that I didn't lose much net weight in any day. But every day I was having SO much trouble getting out of bed. Every bit of my body hurt; worse when it was hot. I asked someone about it, and he suggested salt pills. One a day didn't do it, but one in the morning and one in the afternoon and I was like a new person.

I'll add that table salt isn't sufficient to replace electrolytes. You need sodium, potassium, chloride, and bicarbonate. So potassium chloride (salt substitute) and baking soda is the best combination. Putting it in strong tea takes the edge off the foul taste. If you just take salt, supplement with high-potassium foods like bananas, oranges, and potatoes.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.