Consulting the Geek Oracle

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Consulting the Geek Oracle

Post by Nanohedron »

Anyone know how to permanently disable audio ads? That is, the kind that just start yammering at you but there's no video source to pin the intrusion to. Self-starting audiovisual ads are bad enough - I'd love to completely eliminate those too - but at least I know where the noise is coming from; with the audio-only ads all I can do at this time is turn off my computer's speaker. I don't consider that a legitimate solution, because I say I have the right to a quiet surfing experience, and on my terms.

Most detestable, these trashy invasive tactics.

Oh, and I'm running Windows 10. TIA.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Mr.Gumby

Re: Consulting the Geek Oracle

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Install an adblocker in your browser and be done with the lot. uBlock origin works well for me now although the old AdBlockPlus served me well for many years as well.
My brain hurts

Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

Here, we access the internet through a router, and the router has a built-in firewall with URL filtering. My approach would be to first identify the source URL of the offending audio, then if that site's only purpose is disseminating ads, block the site at the firewall.

Internet Explorer has an advanced setting you can turn off: "Play sounds in web pages". For Firefox, the Windows 7 sound mixer has a separate slider for Firefox that you can mute independently of other sounds; this likely mutes other sounds that you want to play like YT videos. As I recall, you use Chrome; not sure what options it provides.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Install an adblocker in your browser and be done with the lot. uBlock origin works well for me now...
Many thanks! Installed uBlock Origin - took only a few seconds with Chrome - and now wherever I used to see ads there are no longer any, so I anticipate the audio-only ads will be covered as well. Thanks again for your help, and here's hoping. :party:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I keep the speakers off by default, unless I actively want to listen to something. When I do, it`s two clicks on the speaker icon in the status bar to turn sound on again.

Also, I use Opera`s new ad-blocking browser, but even so some autoplay video slips by.

Disabling javascript on some sites also helps. Most sites that have anti-ad-block routines that hide content accomplish this feat with javascript, so disabling scripting gets me back in.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
calanthrophy

Post by calanthrophy »

This may just be extra credit at this point, but in Chrome and Firefox a speaker icon will appear on any tab that's making noise. That at least helps you find the offender to shut it up.
My acoustic recordings (with whistles, of course):
https://soundcloud.com/jake_thiele
Words I write:
http://jakeisalwaysright.blogspot.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

calanthrophy wrote:... in Chrome ... a speaker icon will appear on any tab that's making noise.
Hmm. That hasn't been my experience. But then again I haven't customised or anything like that.

So far, the ad blocking afforded by uBlock Origin has been comprehensive and absolute. Love it to bits. :thumbsup: