Decoding a Chinese postmark date

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tunborough
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Decoding a Chinese postmark date

Post by Tunborough »

I received an undated letter from China and I'd like to know when it was sent. The postmark said "2016.04.01.20." I'm hoping this doesn't mean it was sent April 1 and took 2 months in transit. Can anyone interpret this date for me?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Decoding a Chinese postmark date

Post by Nanohedron »

It does look like April 1 of this year is indicated - which would be my presumption, as the Japanese do it that way - but I can't make heads or tails of the 20, unless that's the time of day: 8-ish pm, maybe?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
andy_skiff
Tell us something.: Start to play whistles since 2007 and became a whistle/flute maker since 2009, I'm in China with a group Irish music fans.

Post by andy_skiff »

Tunborough wrote:I received an undated letter from China and I'd like to know when it was sent. The postmark said "2016.04.01.20." I'm hoping this doesn't mean it was sent April 1 and took 2 months in transit. Can anyone interpret this date for me?

Do you have a photo of the postmark? normally it means April 1st.
andy_skiff
Tell us something.: Start to play whistles since 2007 and became a whistle/flute maker since 2009, I'm in China with a group Irish music fans.

Post by andy_skiff »

Tunborough wrote:I received an undated letter from China and I'd like to know when it was sent. The postmark said "2016.04.01.20." I'm hoping this doesn't mean it was sent April 1 and took 2 months in transit. Can anyone interpret this date for me?
Just checked, Nanohedron is right, it means 8 PM.
andy_skiff

Post by andy_skiff »

You should feel lucky as it arrives finally :D .
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

andy_skiff wrote:Do you have a photo of the postmark? normally it means April 1st.
E-mail sent. (I don't have an account on a photo-sharing site.) For what it's worth.

Thanks for your help. I was hoping for different information, but it is what it is.
AnnaDMartinez
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

I've learned the hard way, all mail from China comes on a very slow, slow boat. :boggle: