Consulting the Horse Chestnut Oracle

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Consulting the Horse Chestnut Oracle

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:We don't have "yellowjackets" round these 'ere parts. :D
It's a North American thing. Here, "wasp" tends colloquially to be a generic term for any wasp other than yellowjackets and hornets. Calling a hornet a wasp is like calling a bishop a priest; so too with yellowjackets, but obviously not due to their size. They stand out for their behavior: a notable attraction to human food in late summer and fall and being boldly in your face about it (and anything else, for that matter), and for being extraordinarily eusocial, nesting in swarms that can get really big given the chance. Few other wasps share these traits, and those that do pale in degree. Walk into their territory and you will be closely investigated, and could be attacked en masse; most other wasps are more likely to mind their own business. Yellowjackets are aggressively curious, but they're unlikely to actually attack so long as you stay cool and respectful around them; still, in the end it's always a gamble. I've never been stung by one yet, but I count myself more lucky than adept. Yellowjackets, especially in groups, are far more a hazard than any other wasp I've met regionally, so having a special name for them makes all the sense in the world to me. One might color one's speech with them:

"Man, but the cops have been zooming around all day. It's like yellowjackets on a pizza."
"A picturesque analogy. As you might know, His Grace the Grand High Pooh-Bah is in town to make a speech, so they've heightened the security."
"Ah, right. I guess that explains the display. One Pooh-Bah, and everyone loses their minds."
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Funny you should mention it. Just this week, I found half a dozen horse chestnuts sprouting from the lawn beside the sidewalk where last fall a small or medium sized boy (or girl, I suppose) had a spill from what was obviously a sizeable haul of shelled conkers. I was about to cut the grass but beforehand I dug 'em up and popped them into pots. If they survive the dry season I'll decide in the fall what to do about them. Maybe I'll have a go at turning one into a bonsai. I also have a crop of baby oaks (Oregon White & English) from acorns I gathered last fall and decided to try to germinate, with bonsaiing in mind.

I know of no disease issues in NA. A century ago the American chestnut was largely wiped out, but horse chestnuts are European and not closely related. I don't believe the pest is over here.

It's a very attractive, largish tree. Lovely in blossom. Conkers come packed in a spiky, fleshy pod, 2-3 per. Easily enough raked up, I suppose, although they can be messy.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Nanohedron wrote:... but then it would eventually overhang cars in the parking lot..
You don't want it raining chestnuts on your car.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Horsechestnuts in Western Europe have been suffering from a disease caused by Pseudomonas syringae. I am not sure about the spread of this disease but when it started about a decade ago it was considered a serious threat. It's highly contagious and fast spreading. That said, Ireland seems to be free of this as yet but, looking at the ash die back that was spread to the UK and Ireland through seedlings obtained from nurseries on the continent, anything may happen.
My brain hurts