RIP T A F K A T A F K A P

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

RIP T A F K A T A F K A P

Post by rorybbellows »

Goodbye, the artist formally known as the artist formally known as Prince.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/22/arts/ ... .html?_r=0

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Brus

Re: RIP T A F K A T A F K A P

Post by Brus »

rorybbellows wrote:Goodbye, the artist formally known as the artist formally known as Prince.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/22/arts/ ... .html?_r=0

RORY
Too young. :-(
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

rorybbellows wrote:formally
Think you mean formerly, Rory?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Peter Duggan wrote:Think you mean formerly, Rory?
I enjoy a joke as good as the next man ,but come on ,have a bit of respect for the dead .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
chas

Post by chas »

This one really came out of nowhere; he was still touring and making new music at quite a pace.

I was never a fan, but what a genius! He was a brilliant composer (Nothing Compares 2 U and Manic Monday were among the songs he wrote for others) and businessman. But this all pales next to his musicianship. I would think he'd be on anyone's short list of the best musicians in pop music.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

rorybbellows wrote:
Peter Duggan wrote:Think you mean formerly, Rory?
I enjoy a joke as good as the next man ,but come on ,have a bit of respect for the dead .
Not a joke, and nothing to do with respect/disrespect! It's always been 'formerly' and you just got the wrong word, that's all...

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?hl=en#hl ... +prince%22
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Had the song Purple Rain running thru my head all day yesterday.

The "The [___] Formerly Known as [___]" formula has been something of a wry trope since 1992 when Prince professionally disavowed his name and went by Image because he was rebelling against Warner Bros for artistic control, and the unpronounceable symbol-as-name provided the loophole by which he could legally breach contract. Journalists came up with "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince" to deal with the symbol thing, and the handle's still around culturally even though it was no longer needed after Prince professionally went back to his birth name. Local gossip columnist C.J., who routinely rebuked Prince for his misconducts (which less famously included offending my sister who then threw her drink in his face), jumped on that business like a pit bull on a porkchop and mercilessly dubbed him "Symbolina" ever after. Which of course Prince hated, but whatever. Everyone else still just called him Prince anyway. Still, you couldn't help but snicker at "Symbolina"; that was devilish good.

People are often unaware that Prince's symbol war utterly changed the landscape of the entire US recording industry in better favor of the artist. He deserves credit for that if nothing else.

So just change the second "formally" to "formerly", Rory, and the whole thing'll be good as gold. It's no disrespect. :)

Even if he's not your cup of tea, there's no denying that his music was rock-solid, groundbreaking, and the product not only of genius but a remarkable work ethic as well. But it was on stage that Prince really put the icing on the cake. A brilliant performer like no other.

Here's to The Artist Formerly Known as Among Us.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Nanohedron wrote:So just change the second "formally" to "formerly", Rory, and the whole thing'll be good as gold. .
Will do, and thanks for putting everything into context. David Bowie and Prince in the space of a few months . OMG I though they would live forever and to think about it , maybe they will . Thanks boys .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .