RIP Merle Haggard

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

RIP Merle Haggard

Post by chas »

Died today on his 79th birthday.

I've never been much of a country-music fan, but have always preferred the Bakersfield sound. Anyway, whether you like his music or not, Merle Haggard was a fascinating man and I would have loved to have had a beer with him.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Brus

Re: RIP Merle Haggard

Post by Brus »

chas wrote:Died today on his 79th birthday.

I've never been much of a country-music fan, but have always preferred the Bakersfield sound. Anyway, whether you like his music or not, Merle Haggard was a fascinating man and I would have loved to have had a beer with him.
My local newspaper always has a list of celebrity birthdays and I noticed his this morning. Same day and year as Billy Dee Williams (presumably still with us?).
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Even as I toked up and marched for peace, I enjoyed Okie from Muskogee. It struck me as an authentic, if opposing, sentiment. Now I read that Haggard later said that when he wrote it:"I was as dumb as a rock". The man was real, and could grow and change. He went from convict to music star. RIP.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
AnnaDMartinez
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

chas wrote:Died today on his 79th birthday.

I probably would have had ten beers and a few shots with him, then gone to bed with him just for the pillow talk! :P