So grammar pedants are introverts. Who knew?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: So grammar pedants are introverts. Who knew?

Post by Nanohedron »

Brus wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: And yes, I cheerfully split verbs and infinitives and put "And" at the front of a sentence.
Don't you never use double negatives?
I'm not inflexible about them.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Nanohedron wrote: And yes, I cheerfully split verbs and infinitives and put "And" at the front of a sentence. Or not. It's about euphony. People should put those "rules" to rest once and for all.
Good. Because I know that you know that, oh, 25% of the grammar 'rules' your elementary school teacher taught you are false. Some were totally bogus, like the completely imaginary "don't split infinitives' rule. Others were wildly exaggerated style advice oversold as rules, like the aforementioned 'sentence fragments' dicta.
Here's what you really need to know about grammar:

1. It's a moving target. Every living language is changing, constantly. In fact, change is the definition of living language. The rules of grammar are observed, not ordained by any external authority.

2. "Correct' grammar is what people are saying, not what some fifty year old stylebook thought should be the truth. If you are over invested in what was correct when you went to school, you will find this painful. Me too.

3. There is ballast in the work of the giants of English Lit. This is where you will find the greatest examples, and find what has always been accounted the best of english writing. No rule which has not been followed by the greatest writers in english exists, no matter what you might see elsewhere.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

There's an old Vietnamese saying that runs something along the lines of if you understand the message, don't get caught up on the words.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Tunborough

Re: So introverts are grammar pedants. Who knew?

Post by Tunborough »

s1m0n wrote:
Tunborough wrote:Actually the researchers observed that introverts are (more likely to be) grammar pedants. They didn't comment on pedants being introverts.

Edit: I'm an introvert.
Well, they also found that extraverts aren't (as) likely to be pedants, which gets you to the same conclusion.
Suppose we sample 100 people and find 30 introverts, of whom 25 are grammar pedants,* and 70 extraverts, of whom 25 are grammar pedants. Then an introvert from the sample is likely to be a grammar pedant, an extravert is less likely to be a grammar pedant, but a grammar pedant is equally likely to be an introvert or an extravert.

* - And one of those 25 is also a statistics pedant.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Is the pedant's sting worse than that of the ordinary ant?
Oh, fer...

Took me over 24 hours to catch that, you scoundrel.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Brus

Re: So introverts are grammar pedants. Who knew?

Post by Brus »

Tunborough wrote:Suppose we sample 100 people and find 30 introverts, of whom 25 are grammar pedants,* and 70 extraverts, of whom 25 are grammar pedants.
Some of us are just plain verts, as were our grammars and great-grammars before them.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Is the pedant's sting worse than that of the ordinary ant?
Oh, fer...

Took me over 24 hours to catch that, you scoundrel.
:D
chas

Post by chas »

There was a country bumpkin who went to a snooty northeastern university. His first day there he got lost on his way to supper. He stopped someone who looked like he'd been there for awhile and asked, "Could you tell me where the dining hall is at?"

The upperclassman tut-tutted and said, "Don't you know you should never end a sentence with a preposition?"

To which the new guy replied, " 'Scuse me, could you tell me where the dining hall is at, a**hole?"
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.