App Fail

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

App Fail

Post by Nanohedron »

I found some apps that operate as a spirit level (free, of course, because I'm cheap). Some are better than others. I thought it was a brilliant idea because, well, you just never know when you might need to level or plumb something on the fly. It could happen; I don't use the flashlight app all that often either, but I'm hanging on to it. So I picked a level app that suited me, but upon playing with it I was confronted with the fact that even though the app works great on its own terms, the buttons on the sides of the phone prevent the phone itself from ever sitting level, so in practical terms the app's useless.

Fail.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: App Fail

Post by Tunborough »

On my phone, a raised area around the camera lens prevents the phone from sitting flat on its back, but Bubble Level (also free) appears to allow for that. That said, I've had Bubble Level for almost 4 years, and haven't used it once. I guess it could still happen.
chas

Post by chas »

It shouldn't matter whether your phone sits level, as long as however it sits is repeatable. The app should ask you to put your phone on a surface oriented in one direction, then the other. That's a self-calibration that every electronic level I've used (and that's a few) does.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

chas wrote:The app should ask you to put your phone on a surface oriented in one direction, then the other.
This one asks me nothing. It's strictly passive just like a real spirit level, simply responding to conditions; it's very pared-down basic. There's a horizontal and a plumb level, and a bullseye level too. That one seems pretty on despite the slight camera protuberance on the phone's back, but maybe my desk's planar level is a hair off-kilter.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Stick it on a known level surface and note the # of degrees its out, then compensate.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Makes sense, but as I thought I made clear, this one strictly emulates your classic, physical spirit level: IOW, no degrees or anything else fancy. Like a real, basic, garden-variety spirit level, it just has slidy "bubbles" and the boundaries one customarily refers to. That's it. I chose this way because I like the familiar simplicity, but this time simplicity proved not the better option.