Weeds in the garden

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Weeds in the garden

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:I always understood that the plain definition of a weed is "a plant growing where one doesn't want it to grow". I don't think there's anything more to it.
And that in the end is the final analysis, isn't it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

That's about the size of it.
For myself, after a few months deployed to the middle east... I can't think of a lot of plants I don't like.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Poison ivy. I like it waaaaay over there.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Concur on that one.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Thanks all.

Your observations help a lot!

Watching a100+ hours of any lecture series tends to bias one's "framing" when making day-to-day decisions.

It's all coming out as: "Be where you are at the time - and do what is necessary for that time and place."
Also: "It is massively valuable to ask."

Here's some observations from my mowed "weed patch":
It is populated buy some nasty sharp-grasses, but mostly it is populated by marsh pennywort.
As it turns out, pennywort has some medicinal value - oddly, it is cogent for my health at the moment.
Perhaps place and herb have offsets?

There's a lot about the dreaded dandelion. At first, I know the root is edible .. if not very tasty. But something my wife observed (in another place): worms really like dandelions. From my left-brain, I see that dandelions deepen the soil by virtue of their long tap-root, but I never noticed the worms till I was shown.

Back to the left-brain: I invented a dandelion extractor- it's just a piece of steel pipe - maybe 1 to 1 1/2 inch steel pipe (curtain rod or some such). You get a broom-handle or dowel inside it. Press the pipe down through the crown of the plant, bent the pipe this way and that. and lift the whole root up as a core - press it out with the dowel and re-insert the core upside-down. I did a whole lawn that way once - takes a day, but dandelions are gone.

The deep message I get from all the posts is that when a person engages with the growing things - it all gets better - for all concerned.

That reminds me that I am nothing alone. Be it people or plants. When I engage and participate, it all happens.

Many thanks for the reminder!

How it looks after your comments it looks like this: The standout take-away from permaculture is:
1. Drive water into a slow path through the ground using swales and small dams. But be very careful of landslip! Plant knitting-root binders to control slip.
2. Only do the work you need to do .. unless you want to do more ;)
3. Engage the wind. Trees are not just crops. They are also shelter.
4. Engage the sun - your home is a sun-thing.
5. Weeds tell you something. Some are not tolerable - hear their message and introduce something that IS tolerable and does the same job.
6 Above all ..observe .. ask .. be taught.
7 Engagement means doing less - for more! Inside and outside of the lawn:)

Many thanks all!

All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Mitch wrote:Thanks all.
Your observations help a lot!

5. Weeds tell you something. Some are not tolerable - hear their message and introduce something that IS tolerable and does the same job.

Many thanks all!

Hmmmmmmmm………You must be a very kindred spirit. All I hear from my weeds is laughter.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

[quote="Tommy

Hmmmmmmmm………You must be a very kindred spirit. All I hear from my weeds is laughter.[/quote]

I suppose it depends who the joke is on?

Larfing weeds might be preferable to the forest of dandelions I am currently looking at. Although, they do look rather happy ...

I was thinking of throwing out a bunch of carrot seeds - they do a similar job to the dandelion, but I don't know how they go with being mowed :)
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com