Your Caption Here

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Your Caption Here

Post by Nanohedron »

Coffee wrote:It's a meism from me not being able to recall the right word.
And fair enough.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Coffee wrote:It's a meism from me not being able to recall the right word.
Ah. OK. In the case of star anise, it's the "pericarp" (so Wiki tells me). I've always understood it to be the inner part of the fruit - the part which immediately contains the seeds.

But now you've got me curious - are there any spices which do consist of dried florets? I bet there are ... the only spices I can think of consist of seeds, bark, pods (like vanilla) and sometimes whole fruits, like chillis. Or should we not include them in spices? I'm torn on that one ...

Ooh, there's ginger of course, which is a root (rhizome, I think, technically) ...

And now, having wittered on, I've looked up what a spice is in Wiki, which says it's a "seed, fruit, root, bark, berry, bud or vegetable substance primarily used for flavoring, coloring or preserving food" - clearly from the spellings an American article, so there may be some slight differences, but that definition basically rings true to me. Mind you, that definition would seem to me to include herbs.

Maybe it's one of those things I won't manage to get to the bottom of. :-?

[Drat! I keep cross-posting with Nano, 'cos he's too quick for me. :( ]
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:... are there any spices which do consist of dried florets? I bet there are ...
Not in general Western cuisine, as far as I can tell. It's going to be buds (cloves, capers), or parts of flowers (saffron). Cooking with lavender used to be common, but even being flowers, would that still count as a spice? Would capers, for that matter?

As far as chiles go, to me it's all in how you use them. The chile surrounding a relleno couldn't be called a spice; although it might have a kick, it's fleshy and functions as a vegetable. The chile flakes I put on my pizza - that's a spice to me.

And what would Gordon Ramsay say to this discussion? You caption below:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

How bout nasturtium flowers in salad? They add a peppery flavour. Is that a spice? Mind you, I suspect the appeal is mostly visual, and/or wowing the peasants with an exotic ingredient.

But I suppose you could say the same about saffron, most of the time.

There are easier ways to add pepper to a salad.

~~

I don't cook (or do anything else, I might add) with cannabis buds, and I suppose they ought, linguistically at least, to constitute a herb, not a spice, but might they not constitute a floret? Or are the fabled buds young herbaceous growth rather than young flowers? I quit smoking dope back when we all smoked leaves, not buds. I suppose I should ask my sister. She got my dad's green thumb & botanical mojo, the ag school diploma, AND the pothead husband.

~~

Mind you, here I am on the wet coast of Vancouver Island, and half the folks I meet at the off-leash park have a medicinal marijauna prescription for one ailment of another, and most grow their own. I'm sure that asking casually with a chuck-it in my hand will garner all the info I might need to know.

In even more fact, I'm sure that five minutes idly googling would give me the info in even greater detail, so the fsct that I'm only mildly intrigued and don actually want to know.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Hops? Rose water?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

"Flowers and drugs? What is this, Haight-Ashbury or a $@&%$ kitchen?? I've got news for you: Purple Haze is NOT a SPICE. AND WHERE'S THE $@&%$ TRIPE SAUCE?!?"
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Nanohedron wrote:Image
"Where did you learn to cook? Culinary Institute of Mordor?!"
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

'S funny; I tend to put the car before the horse.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Cloves are florets.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

an seanduine wrote:Cloves are florets.

Bob
I've looked them up again. I did before, but came to a different conclusion. I guess I don't think of them as florets because they're buds - ie unopened. But now I'm thinking that, at least from one point of view, maybe you're right.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Bog limo.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Engine rebuild at its finest.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Coffee wrote:
Engine rebuild at its finest.
Hm. One horsepower. I wonder if you put some of those cannabis buds in the oats it would turbo-charge. . .

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi