Patriotic Songs, excluding national anthems

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Brus
antispam: No

Patriotic Songs, excluding national anthems

Post by Brus »

Let's list some great patriotic songs that aren't national anthems. Here are some of my favorites:

USA - God Bless America (sung by Martina McBride)

Canada - Maple Leaf Forever (sung by Anne Murray at the final hockey game at Maple Leaf Gardens. I'm guessing Anne remembers the old lyrics better since she had to use a crib)

England - Jerusalem(sung by Hayley Westenra)

Australia - Waltzing Matilda (sung by Wendy Matthews, John Schumann, & Brian Cadd)

Wales - Men of Harlech (sung by a very young Charlotte Church, who can hit the high notes like nobody's business)

Ironically, given the nature of C&F, the hardest countries I tried to pick for were Ireland and Scotland.

For Scotland I considered "Scotland the Brave" and "Scots Wha Hae" before settling on "A Man's a Man for A' That". I pondered whether the last is truly a patriotic song since it doesn't mention Scotland. The fact that Sheena Wellington sang it at the re-opening of the Scottish Parliament (after a 292 year adjournment) pushed me to select it:

Scotland - A Man's a Man for A' That (sung by Sheena Wellington)

As for Ireland, there are so damn many great choices, most of them rebel songs and hence controversial post-Good-Friday. But I'll go with this one if for no other reason than I was at the performance I link to and was moved to tears by the end:

Ireland - The West's Awake (sung by the Screaming Orphans)

OK. Other choices? Other countries?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Patriotic Songs, excluding national anthems

Post by Tunborough »

Brus wrote:Canada - Maple Leaf Forever (sung by Anne Murray at the final hockey game at Maple Leaf Gardens. I'm guessing Anne remembers the old lyrics better since she had to use a crib)
:shock: 'Scuze me but those lyrics have nothing to do with the patriotic song that Alexander Muir wrote, except the last line of the chorus. Politically incorrect or not, these are the real lyrics: Maple Leaf Forever

If you want a song with contemporary lyrics, I'd go with ...

Canada - Northwest Passage, by Stan Rogers.

I'll also offer ...

Finland - Finlandia, by Jean Sibelius.
Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Brus wrote:For Scotland I considered "Scotland the Brave" and "Scots Wha Hae" before settling on "A Man's a Man for A' That". I pondered whether the last is truly a patriotic song since it doesn't mention Scotland.
Did you reject The Flower of Scotland because you considered it de facto national anthem or because you forgot? Because you really can't ignore it... or the more dubiously 'patriotic' but just-as-popular-with-crowds-here choices of Loch Lomond and I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Brus

Post by Brus »

Peter Duggan wrote: Did you reject The Flower of Scotland because you considered it de facto national anthem
Yes.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Peter

As a folkie I thought you would go for The Freedom Come All Ye

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

BigDavy wrote:As a folkie I thought you would go for The Freedom Come All Ye
Great song if more on the world-equality lines of A Man's a Man for a' That than specifically Scottish patriotism. But you've just oddly reminded me (through a wacky thought process of Dick Gaughan > Both Sides The Tweed > other possible choices) of the one glaringly obvious candidate we've all missed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F44WfZoIN4

(Yes, Hermless, what else?)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Peter Duggan wrote:or the more dubiously 'patriotic' but just-as-popular-with-crowds-here choices of ... I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)!
I think that one's attained the special status of an anthem without borders. :thumbsup:

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Deartháir don phaidir an port.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Peter Duggan wrote:
BigDavy wrote:As a folkie I thought you would go for The Freedom Come All Ye
Great song if more on the world-equality lines of A Man's a Man for a' That than specifically Scottish patriotism. But you've just oddly reminded me (through a wacky thought process of Dick Gaughan > Both Sides The Tweed > other possible choices) of the one glaringly obvious candidate we've all missed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F44WfZoIN4

(Yes, Hermless, what else?)
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

500 miles is a nice one, but I will raise you Scotland's Story

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

That's "Hairmless" to you Yanks. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
chas

Post by chas »

How about This land is your land for the US?

And it's not as well-known as others, but Power and Glory by Phil Ochs manages to be patriotic and protest at the same time.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Another one for Scotland - Dougie MacLean's Caledonia, here performed by the Barra MacNeils.
chas wrote:How about This land is your land for the US?
A group of folkies from Toronto, ... um ... "borrowed" Woody Guthrie's song and made popular a version for Canada - This Land is Your Land (the Travellers).
Brus

Post by Brus »

Tunborough wrote:A group of folkies from Toronto, ... um ... "borrowed" Woody Guthrie's song and made popular a version for Canada - This Land is Your Land (the Travellers).
That song could be adapted to any country without too much creativity, e.g., Scotland:

This land is your land, this land is my land
From the English border to the Shetland Islands
From old Saint Andrews to Uist and Harris
This land was made for you and me.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

When I was growing up, the anthem for Wales was Hymns and Arias, by Max Boyce. :)
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Strange for the Scots to forget: A man's a man for a' that. :D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi