Coffee

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Coffee

Post by Nanohedron »

s1m0n wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Good coffee is delicious. ☺
It is, and that is why I think it must have been a bad cup that formed s1m0n's attitude.
Nope. I've tried many, many times to stomach the evil fluid, and it's always horrible. I'd rather drink diesel.
Oh dear. Well, good thing there's tea.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

More for me.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I'm sitting here with my gorgeous cup (second cup, actually :) ) of Old Brown Java. Fresh ground this morning. Accompanied my sausage baguette with fried, home-grown onions and mayonnaise (bought, I'm afraid; I haven't learnt how to make it without it curdling yet :( ).

Anyway ... coffee! :D
walrii

Post by walrii »

Cup of Folger's (yep, I'm a savage), dairy-case sweet rolls in the oven and a big Sunday paper. Life is good.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I think Folgers makes a very respectable cup of joe. What I don't like are flavored coffees. I've tried them and I just don't see the point.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
walrii

Post by walrii »

I prefer the straight coffee-flavored coffee as well but my wife likes the flavored. So, we buy a can of each and mix them 50-50. It's not a perfect solution but then, this is an imperfect world we live in. As the Russian saying goes: "Sometimes 'good enough' needs to win over 'better.'"
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

walrii wrote:I prefer the straight coffee-flavored coffee as well but my wife likes the flavored. So, we buy a can of each and mix them 50-50. It's not a perfect solution but then, this is an imperfect world we live in. As the Russian saying goes: "Sometimes 'good enough' needs to win over 'better.'"
Stupid question maybe, but why don't you make two smaller pots of the ones you each like?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I was wondering the same thing.

BTW, no more paper filters for me. I like the reusable mesh baskets that let the oils through for a better flavor. You can get gold-plated baskets, but I'm unconvinced that the gold has a significant benefit, if any, over nylon baskets which seem just as good to me.
Tor

Post by Tor »

Good point about paper filters vs. mesh baskets. I've wondered about the difference in taste when using the same coffee in two different brewers. One of them has a basket, the other normal paper filters. Definitely a big improvement in taste with the basket.

But then the idea about filtered coffee being better for you than non-filtered coffee is of course the oil, which is blocked by the paper filter.. oh well. The oil content is not insignificant btw. Back when I (shudder) had gall bladder stone issues it was enough to have a single cup of espresso (or espresso-based drinks like caffe latte) to trigger the problem, while having many mugs of filtered coffee usually didn't make any difference one way or the other.

About s1m0n's unability to adjust to the taste of coffee, it may simply be caused by a genetical extra high sensitivity to bitterness. Do you in general avoid bitter foodstuff at all costs? E.g. olives, or bitter fruits? Or broccoli? Some red wines? Some people are so-called 'supertasters' and may dislike bitter food more than the rest of us. Of course the normal tendency to be careful with bitter food in general (until we learn to like it that particular food..) is because of the evolutionary benefit of being able to detect poisons by taste.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

I gave up paper filters a very long time ago. Pain in the bum they were. I don't use any kind of filter - I use cafetieres. They make by far the best coffee IMO.

Good points about taste, Tor. I've long thought that the reason I like coffee is because I have refined and extra-sensitive taste. :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:I use cafetieres. They make by far the best coffee IMO.
I'm with you on that, but I just hate cleaning the little buggers, so I stopped using them. If someone could make them way less fiddly, that would be great.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
I'm with you on that, but I just hate cleaning the little buggers, so I stopped using them. If someone could make them way less fiddly, that would be great.
They're not that hard to clean, surely? If you clean them out as soon as you've finished your coffee they're just fine. :)

IOW, that's the trick - speed. Don't leave the coffee to congeal too much on the little springy thing.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
They're not that hard to clean, surely? If you clean them out as soon as you've finished your coffee they're just fine. :)

IOW, that's the trick - speed. Don't leave the coffee to congeal too much on the little springy thing.
I think we're talking about different things at this point. What I meant is the design as I last knew it: The little springy filter thing was of three parts that had to be removed and cleaned individually, a necessity at odds with my impatience with complication. It's that, not the consequences of tardy cleaning, that I referred to.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I get my coffee from the Kaladi bros up the street, grind at home, and brew via an aeropress.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Tor wrote:The oil content is not insignificant btw. Back when I (shudder) had gall bladder stone issues it was enough to have a single cup of espresso (or espresso-based drinks like caffe latte) to trigger the problem, while having many mugs of filtered coffee usually didn't make any difference one way or the other.
This is useful information.