Coffee

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Coffee

Post by benhall.1 »

Yeah, the three-part, springy filter thing ...

... if you leave it together for most of the times you wash it, and give it a good go every now and then, it's fine. Honest. I kind of spin it between my hands under a hot tap. No bother. :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Dang it - now you're gonna have me eyeing those press pots again.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
walrii

Post by walrii »

Fortuitous timing on this thread. We are in Waco for a family gathering. The rental house has a French press. I had to get Mr. Google's assistance in making it work. Nice cup of coffee but a bit of work given that we have seven coffee drinkers here and the press makes three cups.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

walrii wrote:Fortuitous timing on this thread. We are in Waco for a family gathering. The rental house has a French press. I had to get Mr. Google's assistance in making it work. Nice cup of coffee but a bit of work given that we have seven coffee drinkers here and the press makes three cups.
Yeah, if you have several people you need several cafetieres, realistically.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Incidentally, a coffee press is the best tool I've found for making hot chocolate.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I try, but I can't even envision this.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Add hot milk to pot.
Add desired amount of shaved chocolate (for example, european drinking chocolate)
(If you're feeling froggy, add a little jalapeno powder.)
Stir.
Add the plunger and somewhat rapidly raise and lower the sieve portion to froth the hot chocolate.
Pour into mugs.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Tor wrote: About s1m0n's unability to adjust to the taste of coffee, it may simply be caused by a genetical extra high sensitivity to bitterness. Do you in general avoid bitter foodstuff at all costs? E.g. olives, or bitter fruits? Or broccoli? Some red wines? Some people are so-called 'supertasters' and may dislike bitter food more than the rest of us. Of course the normal tendency to be careful with bitter food in general (until we learn to like it that particular food..) is because of the evolutionary benefit of being able to detect poisons by taste.
It depends. I don't thinkit's as simple as being a supertaster of bitterness alone. I love grapefruit, drink tonic water straight, never finished an olive, don't eat a lot of chocolate but alway dark when I do. And loathe coffee, brussels sprouts and raw tomatoes. A raw tomato has never tasted 'sweet' in my life, tho I gather others have thunk so. Cooked tomato is a staple, however. Packed with delicious umami.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Tor

Post by Tor »

Well, tomatoes.. I grew up hating tomatoes. They were never sweet. Until I moved to Italy.. tomatoes as sweet as can be. Lovely. Until EU started to meddle. When I last lived there (years ago now) EU decided that Italy must import their tomatoes from Holland. So in the grocery stores you could only buy sour tomatoes for some time. Because tomatoes can't travel if they're picked when ripe, so they're always picked when green, then shipped, and left to ripe when arriving at the final destination. They get red alright, but they don't get sweet.
Locally grown tomatoes, that's different. When growing in a region with lots of sunshine, just the right amount of fertilizer, and left to ripe on the plant before picked - if done right, they're so good you can eat them like apples.
So in that terrible period of Dutch import tomatoes I would go to small outdoor lunch restaurants in the countryside to have lunch, if I could. Because they served their own home grown, large, sweet, delicious tomatoes. Add some Buffalo Mozzarella and you're set.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Tor wrote:Well, tomatoes.. I grew up hating tomatoes. They were never sweet. Until I moved to Italy.. tomatoes as sweet as can be. Lovely. Until EU started to meddle. When I last lived there (years ago now) EU decided that Italy must import their tomatoes from Holland. So in the grocery stores you could only buy sour tomatoes for some time. Because tomatoes can't travel if they're picked when ripe, so they're always picked when green, then shipped, and left to ripe when arriving at the final destination. They get red alright, but they don't get sweet.
Locally grown tomatoes, that's different. When growing in a region with lots of sunshine, just the right amount of fertilizer, and left to ripe on the plant before picked - if done right, they're so good you can eat them like apples.
So in that terrible period of Dutch import tomatoes I would go to small outdoor lunch restaurants in the countryside to have lunch, if I could. Because they served their own home grown, large, sweet, delicious tomatoes. Add some Buffalo Mozzarella and you're set.
Almost all of the tomatoes we eat are home-grown. Here in the UK. We're still picking the last of them now. We have huge quantities of them in the freezer, ready to be used for pizza toppings, sauces and the like. We'll have home-grown tomatoes all year round. And even here, in our colder climate in the UK, they're sweet as anything. I really don't like the taste of shop bought tomatoes. They don't really taste like tomatoes to me.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

For the non-filter crowd this cone should work well if you use a courser grind. All the oils and silt of a french press.

If I am going to make hot chocolate it is going to be Champurrado with a fat tablespoon of instant coffee mixed in at the end. It's going to be more difficult to make now that I avoid Nestle products.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: The only way to keep coffee fresh and hot for extended periods is to keep it in a thermos right after brewing.
I don't even like that, although I see what you mean. Still not hot enough or fresh enough for me.
They do it at Claridges, you know. You must need a crane to get you up on that horse. :wink:
walrii

Post by walrii »

Just got a Christmas box from my son - it's a french press of my very own! It's sitting under the tree (the wife insisted) but, come Christmas morn, I'll be brewing a hot cuppa to start the day's festivities off right.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Was eyeing the press pots the other day. Couldn't get my head around the major price jump from standard size to large, though. I want one of those large jobbies for when people visit, but I already have an espresso pot I never use, so I'm not ready to shell out for yet another coffee gizmo that may only gather dust as well. But then that shouldn't stop me, should it. Hmm. Maybe I'll call it a[n] Xmas gift to myself.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Was eyeing the press pots the other day. Couldn't get my head around the major price jump from standard size to large, though. I want one of those large jobbies for when people visit, but I already have an espresso pot I never use, so I'm not ready to shell out for yet another coffee gizmo that may only gather dust as well. But then that shouldn't stop me, should it. Hmm. Maybe I'll call it a[n] Xmas gift to myself.
Do it. Just do it. :D