total-lunar-eclipse-supermoon Sept 27,28 2015

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tommy
antispam: No

total-lunar-eclipse-supermoon Sept 27,28 2015

Post by Tommy »

Any one else getting set up for the http://www.space.com/30656-total-lunar- ... guide.html show? It is a bit overcast here right now.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: total-lunar-eclipse-supermoon Sept 27,28 2015

Post by Nanohedron »

Clear as a bell here. I'll be heading out shortly to watch it. :party:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Clear here for good viewing. Although eclipse is over here I still have to worry about the unusual flood tides next couple of cycles that come along with these events. Shouldn't be too severe.
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

Was cloudy at teach draighean last night; couldn't see a thing. :(
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Overcast and raining here in Anchorage.
Next one is in 2033... I'll wait.... I'm not bitter...
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, if it's any consolation, I've seen bigger-looking supermoons. And I think the moniker "blood" is rather delirious considering nothing about it was really all that red-looking unless you squint and imagine things.

Woooooo. Blood moon. It's scary. Entertaining, though: I haven't sat still and shut up for so long since I don't know when.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Given that the prophets of doom, in their predictions of the world ending yesterday, have their theories fully and truly falsified...
Can we assume we've heard the last of them?
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

You wish.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Well, if it's any consolation, I've seen bigger-looking supermoons. And I think the moniker "blood" is rather delirious considering nothing about it was really all that red-looking unless you squint and imagine things.

Woooooo. Blood moon. It's scary. Entertaining, though: I haven't sat still and shut up for so long since I don't know when.
It was very red here in the Forest of Dean. "Blood moon" was a good description. Beautiful it was. :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Looked more like mud here. There was a hint of a reddish undertone under the shading, but the hue was not at all nearly present enough to warrant the word "blood". I was hoping for better of the promised visual drama (as if an eclipse isn't drama enough). Still and all, it was fun. The pub was particularly bonkers that night. :)
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

It was beautiful here, floating low among the eucalyptus branches. Looked great thorough my WW-2 vintage Sard binocs.

Though I had the timetable posted on my monitor, I nearly forgot until a friend called me and screamed: "Don't forget to LOOK AT THE MOON!".

Blood is a pretty accurate description. Not the cartoonish red of Holywood sqibs, but the rust red of dried blood.

Just as totality ended, the lower limb burst into a brilliant white éclat pending below the darkened lunar disc. Literally and figuratively brilliant.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Must've had too much in the way of particulates in the air here, but MPLS normally isn't known for pollution issues, so who knows.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Sounds as if it appeared quite different in different parts of the world. Afterwards, I looked for time lapse videos which would show what I had seen. For a while, the only ones I could find were from the States and I was puzzled at first by the fact that the moon was travelling in a different direction (rising as the eclipse progressed instead of setting as it was here) and that the eclipsed portion of the moon was on the other side to where it was for us. I still can't get my head round that one ... :-?