The Power of the Key Change

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Coffee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

The Power of the Key Change

Post by Coffee »

Some day, try this: play "You are my Sunshine" in a minor key.
Try it also with "Are You Sleeping."
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: The Power of the Key Change

Post by Nanohedron »

For a while I used to do that a fair bit with Irish tunes. Depending on the tune, good results were not always easy to arrive at, but The Rakes of Kildare's fingering shifted down a step into G major worked very well. Started into it at a session and everybody found themselves playing along, looking at each other and wondering how the heck they knew it at all. That was fun. I called it The Lawnmowers of Kildare, but found out later it had already been done and was a song called Thank God We're Surrounded by Water.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Aye. A minor change... no pun intended, that thoroughly alters the mood of a tune.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
cboody

Post by cboody »

Try playing Flop Eared Mule up one full step and in the same key signature as the original. PRESTO a nice dorian tune.
ScottMaurer

Post by ScottMaurer »

Even a key change of major to major or minor to minor can be cool.

The most popular example would be the glasgow reel. I don't like it but cheap trick of shifting it up a major key is really cool. you get a nice lift out of it.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

If you like other keys and modes, check out the Ahava Raba whistle by Chiff member Daniel Bingamon. Ahava Raba is a scale used in a lot of middle eastern music. Think Havah Nagila. Play your favorite tune with usual fingering and it comes out sounding like it belongs in Fiddler On The Roof.

http://www.tinwhistles.us/jubilee/store ... imetal.htm
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Back in 2006 a bunch of my friends took to playing "Julia Delaney" in D major. I don't know where they got the idea from -- yes, it's in O'Neill's in D major, but that version is almost a different tune, this one is very close to what I think of as the standard D minor setting, just in D major. I recently dug out a recording I made of them back then and have been listening to it a lot, it's really nice.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Then there's the modulation into
D Minor the saddest of all keys.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NgViOqGJEvM
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Our old-time group plays a nice version of The Girl I Left Behind in a minor key, or sort of minor-ish because part of it is in a major key liked you'd expect and then suddenly it goes sad and confuses everybody.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird