"Alright, who wants to play some euchre?"

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Brus
antispam: No

"Alright, who wants to play some euchre?"

Post by Brus »

... and other things people say in my native state:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYGDLfvhw9k

I miss Bob-Lo too.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: "Alright, who wants to play some euchre?"

Post by Nanohedron »

Not a heck of a lot so different from Minnesotan. "Smells like worms," though...that's new to me. Folks around my parts would say, "Yep...smells like rain," and usually you don't get funny looks for it unless you're talking to a transplant. As for the rest of the vid, I often didn't know exactly what the guy was talking about but I could guess, and the way he said it sounded familiar, as if local to my area too - except for that occasional kvetchy thing, which in deep, entrenched Minnesota is going to mark you as probably being from somewhere else. Do you guys have lefse?

And who's Bob-Lo?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Nanohedron wrote:Not a heck of a lot so different from Minnesotan. "Smells like worms," though...that's new to me. Folks around my parts would say, "Yep...smells like rain," and usually you don't get funny looks for it unless you're talking to a transplant. As for the rest of the vid, I often didn't know exactly what the guy was talking about but I could guess, and the way he said it sounded familiar, as if local to my area too - except for that occasional kvetchy thing, which in deep, entrenched Minnesota is going to mark you as probably being from somewhere else. Do you guys have lefse?

And who's Bob-Lo?
As a lifelong East-coaster, I say "Smells like rain". (Not often enough in the last couple of months.) I think I know other folks who do, but only country folk, no city or burb folk.

In Maine "transplants" or "people from somewhere else" are referred to as being "from away", one of my favorite Downeast expressions. Another is someone "has an edge on", meaning he's drunk.

I also like a lot of expressions from farther south. "Useless as tits on a boar hog" is a favorite.

Yeah, and who's Bob-Lo?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Brus

Post by Brus »

chas wrote:Yeah, and who's Bob-Lo?
Bob-Lo was an amusement park on an island in the Detroit River. The ride from Detroit to Bob-Lo on excursion boats (the Ste. Claire and Columbia, informally known as "Bob-Lo boats") was part of the experience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boblo_Isl ... ement_Park

Not sure how the place would operate in the post-9/11 environment that requires passports to travel from the United States into Canada - the island is in Canada, but most people got there from Detroit. No big deal - then.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Sounds pretty familiar to me, especially the Ohio State bit.

"Smells like rain" is common enough but could be "smells like a wet dog" here. Never heard the "worms" thing.

We had a Boblo kind of thing on the Delaware River back in the day. Similar boats would deliver you to the amusement park in southern New Jersey. My first cruise!

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I don't even say "Smells like rain" any more - I just complain about my joints and by that predict foul weather.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I'm from east Texas... parts about Hurricane Bayou, to be more precise.
Whilst every region has its own colloquialisms, "smells like rain" is somethin' I heard growin' up; but then, my parents are both outsiders.
Be that as it may, I also know and use terms such as "gullywasher" and "frog-strangler" for heavy downpours.
I reckon yer all familiar with such nomenclature. If not, well bless your heart...
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Coffee wrote:If not, well bless your heart...
Ha! I use that and thank the day I learned it. Only I'm in the wrong part of the country to use it much. Gotta pick your battles.
chas wrote:Another is someone "has an edge on", meaning he's drunk.
In MPLS we just fall back on the usual bad language plus the word "up".
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Well you might be able to smell rain coming.
Storm Scents.
I remember also reading about off gassing from swamps as a front is coming and that giving a unique smell for oncoming rain.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Even here in the UK we say "Smells like rain". It's pretty common, isn't it?
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Feadoggie wrote:Sounds pretty familiar to me, especially the Ohio State bit.

"Smells like rain" is common enough but could be "smells like a wet dog" here. Never heard the "worms" thing.

We had a Boblo kind of thing on the Delaware River back in the day. Similar boats would deliver you to the amusement park in southern New Jersey. My first cruise!

Feadoggie
Did that cruise start in Philly?
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

oleorezinator wrote:Did that cruise start in Philly?
Yes, I think so. Philly was definitely a stop for the Wilson Liners and probably the northern most port. Chester and Wilmington were also served by the Wilson Line boats. I assume each boat followed the same route. In any case they all seemed to go to Riverview Park in Pennsville New Jersey as their southern most destination during the Summer months.

There were several ships on the Wilson Line which ran up and down the Delaware River up until about 1960 as best I can remember. The boats were originally built and subsequently docked in Wilmington on the Christina River where they finally rusted away in the 1970's. I'd pass the rusting hulks frequently in my travels.

There were a couple generations of each of the named ships AFAIK, pre-war and post-war at the very least. I have several photos of my grandparents aboard the Wilson Line when they were a young couple in the 1920's. My memories of riding on them are from the 1950's.

Feadoggie
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Feadoggie wrote:We had a Boblo kind of thing on the Delaware River back in the day. Similar boats would deliver you to the amusement park in southern New Jersey. My first cruise!

Feadoggie
FeadoggieTwain. Looks like you had some great times.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

ytliek wrote:FeadoggieTwain. Looks like you had some great times.
Heehee. Nah, rather mundane. Unlike the Boblo boats Brus recalls, the Wilson Liner trips were not an International cruise. Although the Wilson Line did go to New Jersey which could at times seem to be a whole other country to me. :)

Feadoggie
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Y'mean it ain't?

Well now... that's somethin' t'consider...
Granted, I'm sure not all of them up there are all hat and no cattle...
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."