Name this boat

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Name this boat

Post by kkrell »

Nanohedron wrote:... In other news, I found out that my cat likes spanakopita. I never would have guessed.
I must object. Spanakopita recipes use onion, extremely bad for cats.
Veterinary Pet Insurance wrote:Onions contain an ingredient called thiosulphate which is toxic to cats and dogs. The ingestion of onions causes a condition called hemolytic anemia, which is characterized by damage to the red blood cells. Onion toxicity can cause the red blood cells circulating through your pet’s body to burst.

Symptoms of this condition include breathlessness, lethargy, diarrhea and vomiting. Your pet also could lose interest in food as a result of this type of poisoning. It may take up to two to four days after your pet eats the onion for symptoms to appear.

All onions — whether cooked or raw — are a danger to your pet. It takes a very small amount of onions to poison your cat or dog.

Consumption of as little as 5 g/kg of onions in cats or 15 to 30 g/kg in dogs has resulted in clinically important hematologic changes. Onion toxicosis is consistently noted in animals that ingest more than 0.5% of their body weight in onions at one time.*

About 600 to 800 grams of onions can cause acute toxicity. Your pet can also become poisoned by eating extremely small amounts of onions over a period of time.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I got this from a buddy from Thailand:

Thai word for it is " Reụ̄x phāy" just mean Thai standard paddle boat. Reu=boat; Phay=paddle.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
ScottMaurer

Post by ScottMaurer »

It looks like a George to me.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

kkrell wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:... In other news, I found out that my cat likes spanakopita. I never would have guessed.
I must object. Spanakopita recipes use onion, extremely bad for cats.
I am mindful of the risks onions pose to cats (thanks to you, as a matter of fact :) ). But I will point out that not all spanakopita recipes are identical, and this one did not include onions. If it had, I would not have given her some. Taken separately, she wouldn't touch spinach, feta, or lemon. But all 3 together in combination appears to be a different story, and she readily asked for and cleaned up 3 helpings of the filling, which I didn't expect at all.

Indeed, this is the first time I've heard of onions in spanakopita. Onions? The very idea. Not in my neighborhood. But I get mine from a local corner grocery that also makes East Mediterranean snacks; maybe they're cutting corners, or this is just one particular take on the recipe.

BTW, my cat is somewhere around 23 to 24 years old right now, over 100 in cat years. True story. For an old gal she's doing remarkably well and is a minor celebrity at the vet; they call her the Energizer Bunny, although IMO she's a bit tottery now for that moniker, but she does keep ticking along. If she thinks I might have something that would serve as a treat, she will quick-trot my way and demand I turn it over for inspection. That's pretty spry, and she can still jump some. I can't claim all the credit for her health and longevity, but the keeper IS part of the equation. So no worries, Kevin. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

chas wrote:I got this from a buddy from Thailand:

Thai word for it is " Reụ̄x phāy" just mean Thai standard paddle boat. Reu=boat; Phay=paddle.
Thanks (and to Coffee for previously offering the same). It doesn't narrow things down on Google; in fact it just goes places far away from boaty things. What I'm getting is that "reu phay" is a general term just as "rowboat" is a general term, but not every rowboat is a dory. So I'm looking for a more specific nomenclature. Asking the Wooden Boat Forum might be the way to go. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Nanohedron wrote:... but not every rowboat is a dory.
My grandfather, who emigrated from Scotland to practice psychiatry in Newfoundland in the 50s, used to tell a story of a colleague struggling to take a medical history from an elderly patient in a remote outport.
"Have you ever had any episodes of serious illness, Mrs Tobin?"
"Eppy what?"
"I mean have you ever been bedridden, Mrs Tobin?"
"Bedridden? Yeessss. But more often in a dory.."
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
chas

Post by chas »

Nanohedron wrote:
chas wrote:I got this from a buddy from Thailand:

Thanks (and to Coffee for previously offering the same). It doesn't narrow things down on Google; in fact it just goes places far away from boaty things. What I'm getting is that "reu phay" is a general term just as "rowboat" is a general term, but not every rowboat is a dory. So I'm looking for a more specific nomenclature. Asking the Wooden Boat Forum might be the way to go. :)
Right, but not every variation on a rowboat or dory has a specific name. Heck, there may be a name for the 7' thing I rowed in as a kid -- we called it a rowboat, dinghy, or when it had a motor on it, motor boat. Cary Grant called a similar boat a dink in Father Goose. ;) Given that my friend was telling me stories this morning about paddling these boats as a kid, I'll take his word for it.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

I wonder how many names for different sorts of boats are the word for boat in the language of the place they originated.

Is it a plank thing sticking out the back or just that the raised up bit doesn't go all the way to the back ?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

chas wrote:...not every variation on a rowboat or dory has a specific name.
I'm not sure how far you're going with the idea of "variation", here, and who's doing the naming (or not). I mean general boat designs, like skiff, dory, wherry, dinghy, skerry, faering, whitehall, scull, pram, weidling, shallop, currach, and so on. To boatwrights and boat fanciers they do indeed have specific names. You can bet on it. I'm running on the assumption that Thai boatwrights make similar distinctions, and was hoping that the term for the boat in question might be available. If you were to ask what the heck kind of boat this was...

...I could tell you it's a tarai bune. Similarly I was hoping that there was someone here who might have the answer to my own dilemma, because you Chiffers are a wildly varied and often very knowledgeable bunch. :)
david_h wrote:Is it a plank thing sticking out the back or just that the raised up bit doesn't go all the way to the back ?
That's a good chunk of my curiosity. It looks to me as if everything below the raised sides is the actual hull proper, including the plank-like extensions. Overall it's a design concept that's quite a different animal from what I imagine when I think of "boat".
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Just based on very occasional glimpses of travel shows on telly showing people visiting water markets, I take it that the plank-like extensions are for people to walk over, from boat to boat and from boat to shore.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

That's my first assumption too, and I expect you're right. But I've never seen any travel shows with the extensions in use like that, nor in photos, and it's driving me crazy. It looks to me as if they would be a dicey foothold, but maybe the hull is stable enough against rocking.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

daveboling wrote:Post your question to the Wooden Boat Forum (forum.woodenboat.com). You'll have to sign up (free), but there are builders from around the world (including SE Asia), that can tell you the name, history, and point you toward plans. There's even a Bilge forum (off topic and such) that makes the C&F PROCT forum look like an English society tea party. :boggle:

dave boling
Hmm. Checked it out, but registration appears to have disabled by admin. :-?
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

If the 'extension' wasn't there the hull would be slightly slower, it would be slightly harder to steer straight (but more manouverable), if jostling with other boats the the top of the raised part (or any fingers hanging over) would take the wear and the 'extension' is probably easier to give a reinforced and/or easily replaced end to take the worst of any knocks on going to the bank.

I would have thought is far more stable to step onto a low projection near the mid-line than have to step over the rasied part and extend a foot to near the centre where the boat is wider.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

There are many possibilities for the extension, a mere ease of design form, for walking over to another boat, if used for activities including swimming the extension may serve ease of climbing up onto boat. Another guess is the extension is some kind of stabilizer for slightly rougher waters (splash plate), or shelf for wet nets, crab pots, or smoking lounge. :D

I'm hungry just looking at all the market boats with fresh produce.

We've got to get to the bottom of this.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

these images may give you some ideas:

Models in a Thai Boat Museum, showing general design idea:

From a restoration project (http://www.sobs.us/id30.html):
Before:

After:

Thai market boats: