Pint of the Black Stuff

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Coffee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Pint of the Black Stuff

Post by Coffee »

When you order a pint of the black stuff at your corner pub, what do you want in your glass?
Me, I keep hoping that, some day, I'll find a bar that has Old Rasputin on tap.
(Or even better, once my homebrew project has gone commercial, Scáthach... but that's a few years down the pipe.)

So... Guinness? Murphy's? Or maybe one I've never heard of, but simply must try someday?
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Pint of the Black Stuff

Post by ytliek »

Back in the day... Beamish, or I'd settle for Guinness if had to. Missing the Beamer. :cry:
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

If I'm in Dublin, it has to be a pint of plain from The Porterhouse. A pint of plain's y're only man! :D
ScottMaurer

Post by ScottMaurer »

We have lots of excellent brewers in my area. There are almost too many good options. However, if I'm just looking for a regular old pint its going to be Guinness. Everyone tries to get too fancy and can't make a decent regular old pint of stout.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Guinness is my go-to.

Call me pedestrian, but hey - it wouldn't be everywhere if it weren't a good product.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Guinness is my go-to.

Call me pedestrian, but hey - it wouldn't be everywhere if it weren't a good product.
Or ... just a suppose ... it's managed to make itself bland enough to appeal ... just about ... to the widest number of people possible. Lowest common denominator kind of stuff ...

I mean, that's harsh, but there is some truth in it. Used to be that Guinness genuinely was different in Ireland - some of it was live for a start whereas, if I've understood correctly, it's the same now the world over - pasteurised and bland-ified.

I too don't see the need for all the fancy, clever stuff when there's good, simple stuff out there. But, here in the UK and in Ireland, for now at least, there is good, simple stuff that's not bland, is not pasteurised and still has the character of good, old-fashioned porter.
chas

Post by chas »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Guinness is my go-to.

Or ... just a suppose ... it's managed to make itself bland enough to appeal ... just about ... to the widest number of people possible. Lowest common denominator kind of stuff ...

I mean, that's harsh, but there is some truth in it. Used to be that Guinness genuinely was different in Ireland - some of it was live for a start whereas, if I've understood correctly, it's the same now the world over - pasteurised and bland-ified.

I too don't see the need for all the fancy, clever stuff when there's good, simple stuff out there. But, here in the UK and in Ireland, for now at least, there is good, simple stuff that's not bland, is not pasteurised and still has the character of good, old-fashioned porter.
Whoa, Guinness is most definitely not the same the world over. I can get three different kinds in the store 'round the corner, five in bigger stores, and that's just in bottles and cans, some made in Ireland, some in Canada. In barrels they tweak the recipe for where it's being consumed. In Belgium I got a pint of Guinness just as a goof, and wound up drinking a couple more it was so good (to my taste). What you get in New York and most of the East Coast in the US is very close or possibly identical to what's in Dublin (modulo the trip across the pond). Some other parts of the US, it does have much less character.

That said, if I had to pick a favorite black beer, it would be Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter.

[Edited so that the first sentence doesn't mean the opposite of what I'd intended. Thanks, Ben.]
Last edited by chas on Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Can I suggest a helpful edit to your post chas? I'll leave you re-read your first sentence. :)
chas

Post by chas »

Doh! :oops: Thanks, mon.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

chas wrote:Doh! :oops: Thanks, mon.
You're welcome! :)