Siblings

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Brus
antispam: No

Siblings

Post by Brus »

If brethren is the plural of brother, why isn't cistern the plural of sister?

:o
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
irishmuse
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Siblings

Post by irishmuse »

Because you spelled it with a "c"" Brus? :wink:
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Brus wrote:If brethren is the plural of brother, why isn't cistern the plural of sister?

Because "brethren" is not the plural of "brother". The plural of "brother" is "brothers". Brethren means something subtly different.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Brus wrote:If brethren is the plural of brother, why isn't cistern the plural of sister?

Because "brethren" is not the plural of "brother". The plural of "brother" is "brothers". Brethren means something subtly different.
Oooh...I have a bit of a bone to pick with this. Now, it has to be said that you are correctly citing current use. "Brethren" was the plural in Middle English; as a retained achaism its use has shifted to a more particular meaning. That's language for you. But run it backward: What, then, is the singular of "brethren"? Yep. We don't have anything other than "brother". I mean, yeah, you could say, "Member of Such-and-such Brethren", but that's the easy way out. :wink:
irishmuse wrote:Because you spelled it with a "c"" Brus? :wink:
While searching all this, I found that it does indeed appear that the use of "sistren" has been revived, primarily by feminist writers.

And sure enough, at the bottom of my Google page is an ad to repair my leaky cistern. And so we come full circle.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Now, it has to be said that you are correctly citing current use.
You correctly discern that that was my intent. :D
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Oh, and I would add that the equivalent for the word "sister" is indeed "sistren"*. As one would expect. :D

*Look it up if you don't believe me.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Oh, and I would add that the equivalent for the word "sister" is indeed "sistren"*. As one would expect. :D

And did I not already mention this in other words? :twisted:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Oh, and I would add that the equivalent for the word "sister" is indeed "sistren"*. As one would expect. :D

And did I not already mention this in other words? :twisted:
Oh yes, so you did. Sorry, I fell asleep in the middle of your post. :twisted:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I understand. When you're - um - venerable, these things happen. :D
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

:sleep:

Eh? Nurse? NURSE!!!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Nanohedron wrote:When you're - um - venerable, these things happen. :D
I'm so sorry to hear that. Oh wait, I thought you said venereal. Never mind.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

The short answer is that present day english retains brethren but not sistren because the bible talks a lot more about brothers than it does sisters.

Brethren uses the now (largely) archaic ~en plural, also seen in words like oxen, children, chicken*, kine**, e'en***, etc. Where archaic forms are retained in common usage as irregular plurals after a language shift to a different 'regular' system, it's because a) they're a very, very common word, used so often it never starts sounding weird to later ears; or b) the older form has been frozen as part of a well known phrase or text, usually scriptural in nature. Brethren is the latter case.

*originally the plural form.
**plural of 'cow'.
***awkward plural for 'eye' required to make the rhyme scheme work in many scots ballads.

The shift to a different connotative meaning for brethren over brothers is another linguistic principle. Where multiple words (or wordforms) exist for the same thing, people tend to sort them into different 'flavours' of meaning, ultimately ending up with completely different definitions for what had initially been the same word. We're familiar with brethren principally because of the KJB, so it has come to take on a 'religioussy' flavour. The splitting process is farther along for the skirt/shirt/shorts trio. All three garments were originally the same word (meaning 'short') filtered through different dialects. Later speakers of English tidied the confusion up by assigning different meanings to the various forms.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
walrii

Post by walrii »

Nanohedron wrote:And sure enough, at the bottom of my Google page is an ad to repair my leaky cistern.
Lucky you. You could have leaky sistern.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
walrii

Post by walrii »

While we are off the subject: canteloupe and penelope. Why is it 'kan-tə-ˌlōp and not kan-‘te-lə-pē when it's pə-'ne-lə-pē and not ‘pə-nə-ˌlōp?
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I want to know why barfly is "bar-fly" and not "barf-ly".