Musings on Current Trends in English Usage

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Musings on Current Trends in English Usage

Post by Nanohedron »

Saw this ad at the top of my Index Page:

"The Power of Ignite". It would seem that Lolcatspeak has become mainstream. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Coffee

Re: Musings on Current Trends in English Usage

Post by Coffee »

I'm not a language purist by any definition, but... this disturbs my calm a little.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

The eye-catching capacity of non-standard grammar & usage is well known to sloganeers and wannabe catch-phrase writers alike. They're doing it deliberately, precisely because it irritates your sense of propriety and makes you look twice.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Although it did make me look twice, my sense of propriety, such as it is, wasn't irritated. You know me: I'm mindful of how I use language, but neither am I a bluenosed purist. However, I propose this dialect of English be called something like Dimwittian or Boobish.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I reckon "Stupidian" would also work.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Maybe Unglish.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

I know there is an Ad at the top of the page and rarely, very rarely even notice it. The Ad even with colors and movement doesn't catch my attention. Sound in the Ad would bother me, or a banner, pop-ups, etc., anywhere else on the screen would offend. I filter that stuff (Ads) mindlessly while on the computer because I'm a terrible shopper and don't need anything that will appear in the Ads.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Sometimes I notice, sometimes I don't. My favorite - which I haven't seen in a while - had the legend, "Punch Bieber? Vote now!"

What's not to love about that?
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

I'm sorry I missed that. :lol: I'll have to pay better attention.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Sometimes there is a gem among the turds.
walrii

Post by walrii »

Methinks "boobish" and "stupidian" fall in the same category as "power of ignite." Better to label it "poor grammar."

Further, calling a "punch Bieber" banner a "jem among turds" strikes me as the pot questioning the kettle's ancestry.

The hour, however, is late and most likely I am becoming boorish myself. Sleep well.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

It is, in fact, poor grammar.
What use is poor grammar? It's rather enjoyable to poke fun of it.

(And by the by, if I end a sentence with a preposition at some point, then do bear in mind that English is not a Romance language, but a Germanic one; the rules governing French grammar and sentence structure do not apply here.)
Brus

Post by Brus »

Coffee wrote:It is, in fact, poor grammar.
What use is poor grammar? It's rather enjoyable to poke fun of it.

(And by the by, if I end a sentence with a preposition at some point, then do bear in mind that English is not a Romance language, but a Germanic one; the rules governing French grammar and sentence structure do not apply here.)
So a preposition is OK to end a sentence with? :lol:
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Shakespeare did it, so if it's good enough for him...
walrii wrote:Methinks "boobish" and "stupidian" fall in the same category as "power of ignite." Better to label it "poor grammar."

Further, calling a "punch Bieber" banner a "jem among turds" strikes me as the pot questioning the kettle's ancestry.
I do lead with my chin from time to time, it would seem. But in the spirit of exchanging volleys, I would never have quoted you with a spelling error you didn't commit. :wink:

I haz a Ignite, let me sho u it.

s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Coffee wrote: (And by the by, if I end a sentence with a preposition at some point, then do bear in mind that English is not a Romance language, but a Germanic one; the rules governing French grammar and sentence structure do not apply here.)
As I've said before, the 'rules' of grammar are observed, not ordained, and are, hence, a moving target. No matter what you were taught, if the bulk of the population has moved on, 'correct' grammar is what they're now doing, not what your grade three teacher told you was right.*

The primary characteristic of a living language is that it is in a constant state of change, and English, being the global language, changes fastest of all. Embrace it. It's why we're winning the language wars.

*As I enter my sixth decade, this gets harder, but in this I differ in no regard from every generation before me. What hurts most is that I still identify with the young, but they sure donèt with me.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis