Musings on Current Trends in English Usage

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Musings on Current Trends in English Usage

Post by Nanohedron »

s1m0n wrote:What hurts most is that I still identify with the young, but they sure donèt with me.
How can they? They have no experiential point of reference to you, whereas you totally do to them no matter how they might claim otherwise. You know, it just occurred to me that while it is said that all are inevitably bypassed by the next generation, still it remains true that the bypassed are also inevitably ahead of the bypassers in kind, and not only in numbering years. A paradox, and a possible comfort, if a bit of a chilly one in the face of social age issues. And that doesn't necessarily mean ageism. I remember becoming aware of it, but I couldn't describe my feelings about the discovery in two words or less. I think this is where growing old gracefully is born.

But I'm lucky. I do have a couple of young folks who actually like to talk with me. You know, solving the world's problems over a drink. I feel younger, and no doubt they find my opinions curious. I hope everyone will have this, drinks or no.

I confess the word "donèt" went right over my head, though, if it's more than just a typo of a kind I've also never seen.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:I confess the word "donèt" went right over my head, though, if it's more than just a typo of a kind I've also never seen.
I think you'll find it's a typo. S1m0n seems to be having some sort of trouble with this sort of thing at the moment - keyboard issue, maybe?
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

benhall.1 wrote: I think you'll find it's a typo. S1m0n seems to be having some sort of trouble with this sort of thing at the moment - keyboard issue, maybe?
Da! A kb issue is exactly what it is. i'm simultaneusly learning win 10 & a new tablet, which spent a few hours yesterday typing in french*. That's annoying but not nearly so much as win 10's refusal to show me the contents of a USB external DVD CD drive. That's super annoying. Win 10 is better than Win 8, by a lot, but this 'feature' really sux.

Finding the control panel that actually controls the kb mapping (there are many false positives) is way harder than it ought to be. In the face of such intransigence, it is sometimes easer to live with the result until the next restart.

*Albeit Quebec (Canadian) French. I think. Jesus, itès half my blood. Phuck, it spontaneously happened again. This *is* annoying. Itès not always when I blaspheme, honest!
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Ooooh. He said "intransigence".

Hey, I'm set to get Windows 10 on the day appointed, myself. I decided to get it for free while I could rather than wait and pay over a hundred bucks for the novelty of a new and improved headache. How do you find it in general?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
joshua7b

Post by joshua7b »

"The Power of Ignite"
Maybe they were talking about Microsoft ignite.

http://ignite.microsoft.com/
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Nanohedron wrote: Hey, I'm set to get Windows 10 on the day appointed, myself. I decided to get it for free while I could rather than wait and pay over a hundred bucks for the novelty of a new and improved headache. How do you find it in general?
Im hating it less any previous Windows upgrade, apart from inconvenience features like hiding stuff that it doesnt think I should want to see, like my external optical drive. That“s well annoying. Whats also frustrating is the sheer number of places that the settings control panels have been hidden, and how little they appear to control once you find them.

I also dislike the fact that in w10 you can no longer control the update process. Its all done centrally by MS and forced on users.

Im not usually such an early adopter, & I miss the fact that there arent yet hundreds of web pages out there discussing and solving any issue I might have, the way there would be if I was later in the upgrade cycle.

I did decide to go with a 3rd party app that restores a win 7 like start button (StartIsBack). Win 10 isnt as infuriating as W8, but I failed to see why I should have to fight to see software I know I have. And I still hate the entire metro interface. Luckily, it is almost possible to avoid it completely.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Thanks. As long as it's reasonably intuitive for a Windows-bound garden-variety websurfer like me, I imagine I'll be fine after a little familiarity.

I too was less than thrilled with Windows 8. The opposite of an improvement, at least for me. 8.5 seemed a little better, but maybe that was because I'd already grudgingly settled into 8. So if you like 10, I expect I will too. Fingers crossed.
walrii

Post by walrii »

Nanohedron wrote:Shakespeare did it, so if it's good enough for him...
walrii wrote:Methinks "boobish" and "stupidian" fall in the same category as "power of ignite." Better to label it "poor grammar."

Further, calling a "punch Bieber" banner a "jem among turds" strikes me as the pot questioning the kettle's ancestry.
I do lead with my chin from time to time, it would seem. But in the spirit of exchanging volleys, I would never have quoted you with a spelling error you didn't commit. :wink:

I haz a Ignite, let me sho u it.

Touche' and my apologies, sir. Just when one thinks auto-correct will fix e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g, even those things not needing fixing, the sneaky little bastid lets one down.

Love the cat.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.