Snack choice in a cup.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Best to bake in a "cup"

Cup Cake
22%
Muffin
56%
Popover
22%

Total votes: 9

I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Snack choice in a cup.

Post by I.D.10-t »

Never cared for cupcakes for the most part. The recent years of cupcake popularity has done nothing to improve my opinion of them.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
an seanduine

Re: Snack choice in a cup.

Post by an seanduine »

Geez, when I saw the header the first thing I thought of was khao tom kui, or congee. Something like this http://annacheneats.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... p-for.html
What half the world eats for a quick breakfast. :D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I never heard of a popover before this post.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

When confronted with a choice like this, I always consult Frank Zappa:

Some people like cupcakes exclusively
While myself I say there is not, nor ought there be
Nothing so exalted on the face of God's great earth
As that prince of foods, the muffin

I love popovers, but think of them more as a side dish than a snack. I don't think I've ever had/made them except with roast beef.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I.D.10-t wrote:Never cared for cupcakes for the most part. The recent years of cupcake popularity has done nothing to improve my opinion of them.
I, too, am not a cupcake fan. They're usually, dry, awful things, more cup than cake, and nearly always disappoint. There are more bad cupcakes than there are bad doughnuts, and good doughnuts are enough of a rarity. I do like the expensive cupcakes from Sprinkles in Beverly Hills, CA, and do appreciate that they have an after-hours cupcake dispensing vending machine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=75&v=mgzxHNq8Bek
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

chas wrote:I love popovers, but think of them more as a side dish than a snack. I don't think I've ever had/made them except with roast beef.
I have made muffins and popovers* both as savory meal sides and breakfasts and snacks. Popovers are much like Dutch baby or David Eyre's pancake. A little lemon juice and honey tops them off in the morning. All of the above I can whip together before the oven is heated. I'll half the Alton Brown recipe and make it in my 8" cast iron pan for breakfast occasionally. Perhaps this weekend with the rhubarb sauce I just made...

*make a great quick dinner roll.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I've been wanting to make and freeze some meatloaf and mashed potato/squash cups for lunch at work.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I prefer muffins to cupcakes.

I prefer popovers to them both. That said, I voted "muffin".

Popovers cook best in their own specialized cookware (which most people probably don't own), and they're about twice as large as either a cupcake or a muffin, so they lose the convenience factor. I also prefer my popovers warm, right from the oven, whereas the question implies some sort of "portability". A cold popover is sad indeed, whereas a room temperature muffin is just fine.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

I'm not supposed to snack unless its raw celery or carrots or something similar, ya know, exotically healthy without carbs. I was a muffin guy mostly with an occasional well made cupcake.

Just reading this thread makes me hungry. :D
Tor

Post by Tor »

There's a missing option: "None of the above" :)
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Tor wrote:There's a missing option: "None of the above" :)
That would be called "not my cuppa"
chas

Post by chas »

My favorite muffins are actually from a pumpkin bread recipe here. I think the recipe makes between 1.5 and 2 dozen, and I replace 1/3-1/2 of the sugar with brown sugar. I freeze them and we thaw as needed. This is without a doubt the best quickbread recipe I've ever tried.

Several members of my extended family are gluten-free, and this recipe is almost as good with gluten-free four.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

chas wrote:My favorite muffins are actually from a pumpkin bread recipe here.
Looks good, I have an acorn squash I have no plans for so I may try this. I usually end up replacing 1/2 the flour with oat flour, and perhaps some pecans to add texture.

(I rarely strictly follow recipes, even my own.)