Guy Carawan 1927-2015

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Guy Carawan 1927-2015

Post by MTGuru »

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/08/us/gu ... -song.html

I was introduced to Guy at the American Folklore Society meeting in Philadelphia in 1976. I was star-struck, and he was warm and welcoming. He had his hammered dulcimer, and I remember peppering him with questions about "We Shall Overcome". Later we hung out with Mike Seeger and Roger Abrams in an impromptu song circle, singing dirty limericks until late into the night.

RIP
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
an seanduine
antispam: No

Re: Guy Carawan 1927-2015

Post by an seanduine »

Thank you, Guy Carawan. That song became my generation's anthem. One of my college buddies passed through Philadelphia, Mississippi the week before Chaney, Goodman, and Schwerner were waylaid and murdered. I sang that song when I was labeled "an outside agitator" when I marched in my hometown in support of the marchers on the bridge at Selma Alabama. I just recently lost an acquaintance who was on that bridge, and lost his four top front teeth to a police baton. If not right away, indeed eventually, We Shall Overcome.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi