Walden

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Walden

Post by Dale »

I emailed the person who started the gofundme campaign and asked for an update. Nothing heard. That was 3 days ago.
carrie

Post by carrie »

According to a post on his FB page on the morning of 5/11, Aaron tested positive for a tick disease—I don't know which one. A nurse told his family that he must be very strong, because most people who have this disease don't live long enough for the culture to come back and be treated. The nurse also said it's a long recovery. Presumably, though, with a known target now, treatment can begin that will gradually pull Aaron out of his critical state.

Update: Aaron is being treated for tularemia. http://www.cdc.gov/Tularemia/
/cf
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

Thank you Carrie for the update. :thumbsup:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
carrie

Post by carrie »

I am heartbroken to share this news:

A message from Rick and Glenda Walden (his parents)
Thank you very much for praying for Aaron and his family. We are sorry to inform you in this manner, but Aaron went to be with the Lord at 12:23 Thursday morning. An autopsy will be conducted to determine the cause of his death and the funeral service announced afterward.

We have all lost a kind, "reasonable," and loving friend. He held a special place in my life and I will miss him very much.
/cf
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. The world is a little less bright without him.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

This is very sad news for the Board and, as I understand it, for all who knew him. My condolences to his family and friends.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

This is extremely sad and distressing. A very talented and humorous musician, wordsmith, & craftsman, and what a weird and tragic circumstance. I enjoyed all the time spent in the C&F Chat Room with Aaron and his wit, and will miss his kindness and clarity.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

I second that Kevin, many's the night I had chatting with him on chiffy chat as well.

Commiserations to his family and all his friends, virtual or otherwise.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

As of just a minute ago, I note that this C&F board has more 1,100,000 posts, and change. More than 93,000 topics. And more than 12,000 members.

Of course, most of those members joined, maybe never posted, maybe posted once or twice, and then moved on. But, any way you crunch the numbers, this board has had a lot of people pass through. More than I, as the founder, could hope to remember or even notice.

Then there's Aaron Walden. Aaron has been here, pretty much from the beginning. So, many of the regulars on this board, and the old-timers, so to speak, will remember young Walden with great affection. He's a hard guy to sum up, which is a good thing because, really, who among us would like to have a life that could be summed up easily?

I'll just say this about our friend and leave it to others to share what they'd like to share. First, my old friend was far too young to die. And too good to die young. In my life, I have avoided a cliche that has become popular: the "old soul." But, when I think about Walden, I just can't get around that one.

For the first few years of this board's existence, it was populated by a lot of people like myself in this regard: we were interested in whistles but we visited the board, mostly, because we enjoyed each other. We had forums here devoted to conversations about religion and politics. Eventually, I had to ban those discussions because I couldn't get what I wanted and insisted on, a place where people could discuss those controversial topics and remain kind and respectful toward each other. It was MOSTLY civil, but I couldn't deal with the uncivil part, so I banned it. It's a shame. I've missed it very much. (I also miss the idea, perhaps misguided, that people can talk about those things in a consistently civil way.)

I bring this up because I think about Walden when I think about those days. Walden and his family are religious in a way that invites a lot of negative attitudes these days, not to mention some uncharitable commentary and appraisals, including those from people who believe human beings are better off with despair than faith. I believe Aaron's faith was a kind of Christianity I grew up in even if very different from what I believe and practice now. It is populated, to a large degree, by people who would take in their nastiest, most disdainful critics if they were stranded near their homes. They'd feed them fry bread and other quality items and give them what they need to make it through the night. Walden was a consistent model of civility, reasonableness, and good humor in all of that. As far as I could tell, he had the kind of security I envy, one that allowed him not to feel any need to convince anyone of anything. He was sweet, and had a sense of humor that had enough bite to it that it made me wince more than once. He wrote poems with skill and heart. He played a variety of instruments, including his beloved ocarinas. He was very, very smart and completely uninterested in making others aware of that.

I'll miss him.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

It's always a shock when one of our Chiffboard friends and members passes away. Though I didn't know Walden, I'm very sorry to hear this sad news.

Condolences to his family and friends, and may Walden find peace.

Please see Facebook for additional tributes to Aaron: https://www.facebook.com/aaron.walden
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Ah well, Dale said it all for me. RIP, Walden.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

My deepest condolences for Walden, his family and friends.

Neither had I known Walden during my short time on the Chiff. However, I had spent many hours lurking and searching the forums and encountered so many postings by Walden that I knew he was a special guy... really human in every way. What I was mostly impressed with about Walden was the incredible number of YouTube postings clearly indicating his passion for music. Heart and soul is Walden through and through in his music. Heart wrenching loss.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Waldco/videos
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I may not be an old, old timer, but I am fairly up there in seniority. I miss those great conversations in those now banned areas, and I miss Aaron's contributions to those areas as well as his contribution to the musical areas as well. Walden was simply himself, in the truest way, which is all anyone can ever hope and aspire to be. He will be greatly missed.

Eric
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I am deeply saddened to learn this news.

He will be greatly missed. There was no other like him.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Just sharing a memory of Walden--it was Dale's post that brought it to mind.

There was a time when Chiff and Fipple was an almost perfectly egalitarian online society, where all manner of ideas were discussed openly and without any privileged perspectives.

That time did not last--such times never do, the nature of privileged perspectives is such that they cannot be forever set aside--but while it endured, Walden and I both took part in some mighty conversations, though often from differing points of view.

I greatly miss the conversations, but even more, I greatly miss my friend.

Rest in Peace, Aaron Walden, and if there be a Light to be found after this life, then I have not known anyone more worthy of finding it. Whether nor not, though, you made the world brighter with your own light while you were in it--and that is the best definition that I know of a meaningful life.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard