Marrow Goodness

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Marrow Goodness

Post by Nanohedron »

I'm a fan, but haven't really had enough of this unctuous treat to know much. I've been wondering if there's a flavor difference between beef and pork marrow, but can't find anything about that on the Web so far. Anyone know?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Marrow Goodness

Post by benhall.1 »

kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Ben, Agatha Christie readers SOoo get that.

Nano, congratulations on using "unctuous" in a sentence, although based on the definitions I looked up, I have doubts that it was used properly.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

kkrell wrote:Ben, Agatha Christie readers SOoo get that.
Thank you Kevin. :)
kkrell wrote:Nano, congratulations on using "unctuous" in a sentence, although based on the definitions I looked up, I have doubts that it was used properly.
Thank you Kevin. :twisted:
Brus

Post by Brus »

kkrell wrote: Nano, congratulations on using "unctuous" in a sentence, although based on the definitions I looked up, I have doubts that it was used properly.
It means "resembling an uncle", right? I'm quite sure of that. :D
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

kkrell wrote:Nano, congratulations on using "unctuous" in a sentence, although based on the definitions I looked up, I have doubts that it was used properly.
Aw, shucks, don't congratulate me - you already know I've got a million of 'em. :wink: But out of deference to your misgivings I double-checked with the Thesaurus, and independent of the word's typical dictionary definitions limited to oily personal chararacter and greasy-feeling minerals, "unctuous" also appears in a food-descriptive context - and if it helps, rest assured I am definitely not the first and only to have used it so; I hear it in culinary vocabulary from time to time, and in that, I have simply followed the example of my betters, so if it works for them, that's good enough for me. I do think that calling this usage wrong does a disservice to the creative flexibility that is one of the great strengths of our language. I suggest that the dictionaries have simply dropped the ball here for whatever reason; maybe cooks are beneath their consideration. In terms of food one has to admit it becomes an enticing word, and it's good at describing that deliciously exalted, decadently sublime, meaty-buttery food of the gods that is roasted bone marrow. "Rich" might do, but it doesn't really tell you anything, and even that word carries a repellent element. But unctuous? Ohhh, yes. Feed me that. Now.

But again to my initial question about marrow flavor: Beef? Pork? Differences if any?

This topic was inspired by my baked Easter ham this year. In it was a major fund of smoky marrow available to me, and I just about died of joy. Unless you've had it, it's hard to explain why I would say that. People call it fatty, but that's far too narrow a description and it misses the mark by a mile. And by the way, normally I don't like fat on my cooked meat other than for the flavor it lends. I cut it away because eating it grosses me out. Marrow, OTOH, is of a different order entirely. It's nutritionally very beneficial, full of umami, and it makes me want more. It's just not the sort of thing you should eat often, of course.

So anyway, I'm thinking of roasting my own marrow bones and, along with good bread, having the classic side salad of chopped parsley, shallot, capers, and lemon juice as a foil. Marrow bones are still fairly cheap, unlike the paying through the nose you'd do for 'em in a restaurant. And then after your feast, you have the roasted leftover bones for stock. :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:So anyway, I'm thinking of roasting my own marrow bones and, along with good bread, having the classic side salad of chopped parsley, shallot, capers, and lemon as a foil.
Seems a bit extreme; but yes, I suppose that would at least be cheap.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Extreme? It's dead easy. Just roast the bones and scoop 'em out. Put it on toast with a touch of salt and, if you like, also a bit of the parsley salad. I'll ask the butcher if he'll cut the bones lengthwise for easiest access. Some won't do this, citing work safety concerns, but in that case I'll just have him cut them in lengths of two-inch-or-so crosswise sections; one thing I won't do is invest in those silly marrow spoons. The day I do that is the day I invest in a periwig.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Yes, but roasting your own bones? That's extreme. :o :shock:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Ohhhhhhh. I see what you did there.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Ohhhhhhh. I see what you did there.
Ah.

:D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

So, pork marrow or beef marrow? What more do I have to do, start a freakin' poll?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Maybe you should add lamb to the poll.

Hmmm, I wonder if marrow is one of the reasons people like pork rib tips?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

kkrell wrote:Hmmm, I wonder if marrow is one of the reasons people like pork rib tips?
I couldn't tell you, but I kind of doubt it. Whatever you might get out of it, a rib won't give you the same kind/quality of marrow I'm talking about. You want the midshaft of the leg bones for that. Here's the raw product (beef marrow bones), cut both lengthwise and crosswise:

Here's an example of the finished product:

And here's the classic serving suggestion:

Simplicity itself. :)
kkrell wrote:Maybe you should add lamb to the poll.
Although I personally love lamb, it doesn't fly in my house, so I'd forgotten that option. I now remember someone online saying that they were partial to lamb marrow, so maybe there must be a difference in flavors. I suppose I could always ask the butcher. It would be just my luck that he'd say, "I dunno - I never touch the stuff, myself."
emmline

Post by emmline »

Brus wrote:
kkrell wrote: Nano, congratulations on using "unctuous" in a sentence, although based on the definitions I looked up, I have doubts that it was used properly.
It means "resembling an uncle", right? I'm quite sure of that. :D
avuncular?

I'm not sure about any of this being on the Dean Ornish diet plan. I will have to check the book.