Can anyone answer this "bonus" question?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Brus
antispam: No

Can anyone answer this "bonus" question?

Post by Brus »

Why, when I buy an album, are there X number of tracks and 1 or 2 "bonus" tracks? Why aren't there just X+1 or X+2 tracks, period?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Can anyone answer this "bonus" question?

Post by MTGuru »

It used to be that most CDs were digital re-issues of original vinyl LP albums, which held around 40-45 minutes of material. With the extra time afforded by CDs, there was room to add a few extra tracks not included on the LP release - the bonus tracks.

The whole music industry bonanza of having to re-purchase albums you already owned felt like a rip-off to many (like me). So I guess the idea of getting a bonus also helped to soften the blow.

After original CD releases became the norm, the marketing idea of bonus tracks stuck. And it still makes some sense when albums are planned as a cohesive collection, with a conceptual flow from track to track making an overall musical statement to be experienced from beginning to end. Bonus tracks may then be extras outside that flow - alternate takes, live takes, etc.

Nowadays, with many albums more download/streaming oriented, they seem more like a menu to pick and choose individual tracks, and bonus tracks seem more like a gimmick. But I suppose a physical CD might include bonus tracks not included in the download or streaming versions.

Personally, I've seen very few bonus tracks. It doesn't seem to be the norm at all for trad music albums. Back in the 80s/90s I re-purchased very few albums as CDs, because my vinyl collection is still intact and mostly in good shape (Take that, greedy music industry!). And when I bought "Best Of" CDs, which I tended to do, they were filled out without the need for bonus tracks.

As for contemporary pop/rock albums ... I haven't paid attention in around 15 years, and I have almost no desire to own any of it. :really:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Brus

Post by Brus »

MTGuru wrote:It used to be that most CDs were digital re-issues of original vinyl LP albums, which held around 40-45 minutes of material. With the extra time afforded by CDs, there was room to add a few extra tracks not included on the LP release - the bonus tracks.

The whole music industry bonanza of having to re-purchase albums you already owned felt like a rip-off to many (like me). So I guess the idea of getting a bonus also helped to soften the blow.

After original CD releases became the norm, the marketing idea of bonus tracks stuck. And it still makes some sense when albums are planned as a cohesive collection, with a conceptual flow from track to track making an overall musical statement to be experienced from beginning to end. Bonus tracks may then be extras outside that flow - alternate takes, live takes, etc.

Nowadays, with many albums more download/streaming oriented, they seem more like a menu to pick and choose individual tracks, and bonus tracks seem more like a gimmick. But I suppose a physical CD might include bonus tracks not included in the download or streaming versions.

Personally, I've seen very few bonus tracks. It doesn't seem to be the norm at all for trad music albums. Back in the 80s/90s I re-purchased very few albums as CDs, because my vinyl collection is still intact and mostly in good shape (Take that, greedy music industry!). And when I bought "Best Of" CDs, which I tended to do, they were filled out without the need for bonus tracks.
The one that actually prompted me to wonder is certainly not a re-issue: it's the very recent TinWhistler album by the Monserrat brothers. It has 11 "tracks" and 2 "bonus" tracks.
As for contemporary pop/rock albums ... I haven't paid attention in around 15 years, and I have almost no desire to own any of it. :really:
Ditto on the pop/rock, although I still buy good classical stuff on occasion.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Brus wrote:The one that actually prompted me to wonder is certainly not a re-issue: it's the very recent TinWhistler album by the Monserrat brothers. It has 11 "tracks" and 2 "bonus" tracks.
Well, in the case of what is effectively a self-produced "amateur" album like that, I imagine that they're just imitating the commercial model they're familiar with.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

No, it's quite clear from the TinWhistler sleeve note that they are indeed 'extras outside that flow', with Bonus Track #1: Polkas being a homemade (as opposed to studio) recording and Bonus Track #2: Flute & Foot being a 'quick flute improvisation before leaving the studio [...] with foot tapping.'
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I studied business in college. My focus was accounting but I had to take an assortment of business and economics classes.

One word: Marketing

Maybe the tracks should be New & Improved
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

mutepointe wrote:I studied business in college. My focus was accounting but I had to take an assortment of business and economics classes.

Maybe the tracks should be New & Improved
I have been watching laundry detergent become ''New & Improved'' for over sixty years. :boggle: Why don't they just make it right the first time?
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Hang on to that vinyl collection--not only did some audiophiles never let them go, they appear to be making a bit of a come-back.

I am seeing turntable in regular advertising again. In 2015--who'da thunk it?

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard