Who's your favorite Polymath?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Who's your favorite Polymath?

Leonardo daVinci
32%
Thomas Young
3%
Goethe
3%
Benjamin Franklin
23%
Gottfried Leibniz
No votes
John von Neumann
3%
Mary Somerville
3%
Athanasius Kircher
3%
Sir Isaac Newton
10%
Some other Universal Genius (enlighten us...)
19%

Total votes: 31

BoneQuint
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BoneQuint »

brianormond wrote:-Richard Feynman also appeared before the Rogers Commission following the Challenger space shuttle disaster. I heard he took o-ring material used on the solid rocket boosters, dipped it in liquid oxygen or nitrogen for a quick freeze, then broke it apart in front of the panel to demonstrate graphically how frozen or stiffened o-rings doomed the shuttle.
Actually, it was merely ice water he dipped the o-ring in. Since the weather was below freezing that day, it was a reasonable test. He squeezed the o-ring in a little C-clamp, dunked it in ice water during a televised meeting, and showed how it wasn't very resilient at those temperatures. The o-rings needed to be very quickly resilient to do their job correctly. I remember hearing at the time about the o-rings failing. But the real issue was, NASA had gotten lazy, and communication was poor. They tried launching at a temperature the o-rings were not rated for, 28 or 29 degrees. Previously to that, the coldest it had been for a launch was 53 degrees. I just checked the story in Feynman's book, "What Do You Care What Other People Think?"

Feynman was indeed a very interesting character. I think one of his greatest contributions was to embody (and write about) a way of thinking, making no excuses, going back to reality, questioning yourself, trying to prove yourself wrong, and being comfortable with doubt instead of always trying to be "right." As he said:
"Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool."
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-Thanks for the correction, Bonequint. If anything, the use of ice water just made his demonstration more compelling.

-Brian
FractalSquirrel

Post by FractalSquirrel »

I voted for Franklin because he was quite a character, but I couldn't help but think of a few more candidates.

Carl Freidrich Gauss, genius in physics as well as math, admittedly related fields. Still, I’m quite a fan.

Pythagoras! Philosopher, mathematician, astronomer, as well as music theory expert, namer of the diatonic modes and the one who mathematically described the harmonic tuning scale.

Last but not least, De Selby, an Irishman. He was the inventor of canned darkness and whisky that matures in a week. Sure he was fictional, but he was such a character to cross genres and appear in the works of many different authors!

-Fractal Squirrel
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

FractalSquirrel wrote:Pythagoras! Philosopher, mathematician, astronomer, as well as music theory expert, namer of the diatonic modes and the one who mathematically described the harmonic tuning scale.
I admit, I shunned the Greeks mightily. Perhaps I was thinking that
it would be hard to be a Renaissance Man before, you know, The
Renaissance... But that was very Chronologically Chauvinistic of
me. Mea Temporis Culpa.