The Pogues ... who's got music?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
WhistlingGirl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Pogues ... who's got music?

Post by WhistlingGirl »

So who knows where I can get some sheet music for playing anything by the Pogues. I'm a new whistler and listening to the CDs over and over again is one possibility but there are some things my inexperienced ears just can't hear!
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I transcribed Spider's whistle solo from 'Fairytale of New York' to practice writing ABC notation a while back:

X: 1
T: Fairytale of New York
M: 3/4
L: 1/8
K: D
%%MIDI program 73
|d>ef|edd/2e/2|fed|B3|a>ba|fdd/2e/2|fga|e3|
a>ba|fdd/2e/2|fed|B3|Adf|afd|efe|d3|
a>ba|fdd/2e/2|fed|ede|fed|BGG|ABc|d2f|
a>ba|fdd/2e/2|fed|B3|Adf|afd|efe|d3||

Paste this into the <A HREF="http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html">ABC Convert-A-Matic</A> to render it to standard music notation or MIDI.
Spider plays a C whistle as often as a D in his recordings with The Pogues, so bear that in mind when trying to play along with the CDs.

P.S. I'm single if you're looking for another Guinness drinking, whistle playing Pogues fan! ;)
I didn't think there were any such females on Earth, so I think I'm in love now that I know I was wrong! :love:
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Is there a lot of whistling on their CDs or just a little? If a lot, what's a good CD to start with?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

blackhawk wrote:Is there a lot of whistling on their CDs or just a little? If a lot, what's a good CD to start with?
There's quite a bit of whistle playing on all their CDs, but the whistle is almost exclusively used as an accompaniment instrument, and rarely takes the lead.
Shane MacGowan's voice is one of those that you either love or hate, so you might be wise to listen to some demo tracks before you spend your money on any of their CDs. ;)
Shane MacGowan's musical roots were in the punk genre with his old band 'The Nipple Erectors', so that might give you some idea of what to expect. :lol:
Amazon.com carries most of their CDs and provide several sound samples.
Their 1984 debut 'Red Roses For Me' is as good a place to start collecting as any if you decide to start.
It contains the tracks 'Streams of Whiskey', 'Greenland Whale Fisheries', 'Waxie's Dargle', and 'Kitty', which are some of my personal favorites.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I'm partial to Pogue Mahone, a 1995 CD.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Duckrasta

Post by Duckrasta »

Personally, I'm a fan of Rum, Sodomy, & the Lash. I also recommend The Very Best of The Pogues
fatveg

Post by fatveg »

Duckrasta wrote:Personally, I'm a fan of Rum, Sodomy, & the Lash.
Thank you for sharing that, but isn't that 'thread drift'? :lol: :lol: :lol:

And to any Gailic speakers, I don't think PhilO was being personal when he said 'Pogue Mahone'!

There is a decent 'best of' CD, 'Essential', which may be a good beginners' point.

Two minutes silence, please, for the sorely missed Kirsty Macoll.
<i>"Music is more like water than a rinoceros. It doesn't chase madly down one path. It runs away in every direction" - E. Costello</i>
Paul Anderson

Pogues music

Post by Paul Anderson »

There's a music book available entitled "The Best Of The Pogues." I think I got it several years ago from Elderly Instruments in Lansing, Michigan (they have a huge mail-order dept). This book has, among others, Fairytale of New York, Irish Rover, Dirty Old Town and, my personal favourite, Rain Street. I also just picked up a used copy of the "Hell's Ditch" CD for FOUR bucks. It pays to lead a clean life.
WhistlingGirl

Thanks

Post by WhistlingGirl »

Thanks everyone, I'm going to try and locate that book. Cheers!
Adams_gert

Post by Adams_gert »

Gary90
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I don't know what you wan't to know. Other than I am not a spammer who is has to write a minimum of 100 characters.

Re: The Pogues ... who's got music?

Post by Gary90 »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

Hi guys, i know this is an old one but im fairly new to reading music. I can read music but in this format that raindog had posted, im a little confused.

|d>ef|edd/2e/2|fed|B3|a>ba|fdd/2e/2|fga|e3|

I would like to know what > symbol means and also what /2e/2 means and also B3 means

If someone could explain it that would be great, cheers.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

As the post suggested, you could be better off converting from abc to staff notation, if you are more confident reading that.

Failing that, https://abcnotation.com/ will give the ins and outs of abc notation.
My brain hurts

Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

Love the Pogues and our troop plays heaps of their songs. You'll find that most of their songs are covers, so it's easy to find whistle tabs or ABCs for most of them unless you want to play exactly like Spider. Martin Darvis (I think that's right) has helped me with Body of an American and Navigator and we've just started playing Waxie's Dargle at Pogues speed with me whistling and singing (gulp). Rarely at the same time. Hah
Hit me up if you can't find any tabs online.

PS just noticed how old this thread was. Yeesh. Hopefully it's still relevant.