More on McManus Sylvan Whistles.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
wizzywig

More on McManus Sylvan Whistles.

Post by wizzywig »

ytliek
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: More on McManus Sylvan Whistles.

Post by ytliek »

Yes wood whistles do it for me! Nice whistles there in demo. And I like to see the Oz whistle used as the benchmark. :)

TonyH mentions one thing that I'm always trying to decide for myself what is more important. Tunable vs. non-tunable whistles. I have a few non-tunable whistles and they play very nicely. Keepers in fact. I am not a whistlemaker so I have always wondered about longevity of a whistle with proper care of course. I would think a non-tunable whistle well made would have a longer "safe life", for lack of a better word, than a tunable whistle with constant adjustment of movable parts. Assembly and disassembly where there may be multiple joints. Issues of various differing materials adjoining, woods/metals, over a period of time. I'm thinking wear 'n tear, shrinkage, warpage, cracks, and so forth at the joints. Mind you that I'm not a stage nor recording studio performer, just a newbie-ish, penurious, tone deaf, wannabe whistler here.

Wouldn't a solid non-tunable whistle in any of the materials live longer?
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

ytliek wrote:a tunable whistle with constant adjustment of movable parts.
Thing is, if you're adjusting constantly, yer doing it wrong ... :wink:

It's kind of like a car seat. You adjust it to your requirements and preferences. And then, unless you're a shape-shifter like Loki, you'll probably hardly ever change it except for minor tweaks. Or for cleaning. Or if someone else uses it.

A bigger issue may be that some adjustable whistles (e.g. Burkes) need to be pulled apart periodically, or at least moved, in order to keep them from locking up. And the problem is the opposite - the tendency to do this not often enough. But it's nice to be able to tweak the pitch when you need to.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

ytliek wrote:I would think a non-tunable whistle well made would have a longer "safe life", for lack of a better word, than a tunable whistle with constant adjustment of movable parts. Assembly and disassembly where there may be multiple joints. Issues of various differing materials adjoining, woods/metals, over a period of time. I'm thinking wear 'n tear, shrinkage, warpage, cracks, and so forth at the joints.
I guess that's why there are so few wooden flutes surviving from the 19th century. :boggle:

It's like most things. If we take good care of our whistles they will last much longer than we will. And the whistles will certainly be showing less wear and tear than I do.
MTGuru wrote: And then, unless you're a shape-shifter like Loki,
Would Loki play whistle? Seems more like a horn kind of guy to me. Wouldn't trust him with any of my whistles in any case.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

So do you disassemble a two-piece or three-piece whistles when not being used? I was under the impression that its best to take whistles apart to prevent binding.

BTW, as I aged and added poundage my car seat was adjusted quite frequently as with the seat belt as well. :D
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

ytliek wrote:So do you disassemble a two-piece or three-piece whistles when not being used? I was under the impression that its best to take whistles apart to prevent binding.
Nope, never take them apart unless it's a set and you need to move the head to another body. Move the slide every once in a while to avoid seizing. I suppose if one had a cork joint it might be a good idea to keep the parts separate.
The Lurking Fear

Post by The Lurking Fear »

Different makers advise differently regarding their whistles.

So some say leave 'em joined,others say the opposite.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

kkrell wrote:
ytliek wrote:So do you disassemble a two-piece or three-piece whistles when not being used? I was under the impression that its best to take whistles apart to prevent binding.
Nope, never take them apart unless it's a set and you need to move the head to another body. Move the slide every once in a while to avoid seizing. I suppose if one had a cork joint it might be a good idea to keep the parts separate.
The Lurking Fear wrote:Different makers advise differently regarding their whistles.

I follow the individual whistlemaker's instruction but when there's no instructions that's where my confusion began with what to do. I'm not a whistlemaker and I've little knowledge of the intricacies of differing build materials and proper care. I'm learning as I go. No hard and fast rules about it.
chas

Post by chas »

ytliek wrote:
The Lurking Fear wrote:Different makers advise differently regarding their whistles.

I follow the individual whistlemaker's instruction but when there's no instructions that's where my confusion began with what to do. I'm not a whistlemaker and I've little knowledge of the intricacies of differing build materials and proper care. I'm learning as I go. No hard and fast rules about it.
I think leaving it together reduces the chance of getting schmutz on the slide or denting the end of it.

I mostly rang in to compliment The Lurking Fear on his/her moniker.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.