whistle quiver

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tomcat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

whistle quiver

Post by tomcat »

i figured out an inexpensive way to carry whistles in various keys with me....i'm sure there are many ways to do it - but this one seems to work. it cost me all of $20 or so from the local hardware store.

you can go here to see the pictures:
https://app.box.com/s/8l56xbv3tqdnq2cgkdbe6foezooovwm4

the tube itself is a cardboard cyclinder desgined to serve as a form for concrete. it can be easily cut with a saw to your desired length. the inside sleeves are actually pipe insulation sleeves that run about $1.50 a piece for a 6 foot section. they come in various diameters.

i cut all the pipe insulation sleeves the same length and stuffed the ones for the high whistles with paper and packing material - this allows all the whistles to be at the same height.

for the base of the quiver, i cut a piece of old wood shelving and sanded it to fit snugly inside the base of the tube. i then secured it with screws. i added some paint for looks and attached the eyebolts for the shoulder strap (which i stole from an old brief case). Oh, and the beanie keeps my head warm (when not on the quiver) and keeps the whistles from spilling if the tube tips over in the car.

the wood base helps the quiver stands up well without adding too much weight while the quiver keeps the whistles from rolling off the table or from being stepped on.

mine carries 11 whistles from Low C (which determined the length of the quiver) to high D.

having all 11 with me comes in handy when the guitarist slides the capo up or down . . . :D
trill

Re: whistle quiver

Post by trill »

tomcat,

Very nice !

I especially like:

1) all whistles are parked at the same height.

2) the red hat !

trill
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

tomcat wrote:i figured out an inexpensive way to carry whistles in various keys with me....i'm sure there are many ways to do it - but this one seems to work. it cost me all of $20 or so from the local hardware store.

you can go here to see the pictures:
https://app.box.com/s/8l56xbv3tqdnq2cgkdbe6foezooovwm4

for the base of the quiver, i cut a piece of old wood shelving and sanded it to fit snugly inside the base of the tube. i then secured it with screws.
Very clever Randy, very nice indeed.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Pretty darned cool. :thumbsup:
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Nice quiver. I haven't tried this yet, but, how would a sewing needle quiver work, anyone tried that? Trying to save work and I'm not crafty.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I've used an old drumstick bag for the same sort of purpose. It's basically just a 18-inch long black Cordura nylon tube with a zippered end and a sling strap. It works fine as a quiver. Longer whistles protrude - which may be a feature, not a bug, for quick access. The whistles are loose and do jostle around a bit, so I wouldn't go jogging with it. And in any case, this style of simple drumstick bag seems to be hard to find nowadays.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Cool Tom. Might have to make something like this myself. :)
Phil Dale
soundcloud.com/philleann
"Those in power write the history, those who suffer write the songs"
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I've used a basic drumstick bag with no padding as a storage quiver, but I like the idea of the foam pipe insulation sleeve inserts to protect whistles from jostling around. Thanks for sharing.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

ytliek wrote: but, how would a sewing needle quiver work, anyone tried that?
A sewing needle quiver might be just a bit too short. :D But I have promoted the use of knitting needle tubes in the past though. They work up to maybe low G. After that you want may to look at fly fishing rod or blueprint cases to protect the larger whistles.

Of course my son, the bow maker, thinks I should just stick to the original thing - an arrow quiver of all things. Does anyone here use one of those?

I have a number of drumstick bags that I repurposed for whistles. I like the Rok Sak drumstick bag that is a quiver/tube shape. It works well for medium sized whistles. It's like, totally tubular, bro.
ytliek wrote:Trying to save work and I'm not crafty.
I kind of blah, blah, blahhed on the topic once upon a time. You can read my post here. And it is by no means exhaustive. There are a lot of ways to protect a whistle.

I am always amazed by the variety of concepts people have for storing/carrying their whistles. The pipe insulation is a nice idea. I used to collect bicycles. I have used the pipe insulation for many years to protect the tubes of the bike frames when storing them or shipping them. Works a treat on whistles too. It comes in different diameters to fit different tubes. Most home stores will have a couple sizes on the shelf.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

Interesting link feadoggie. Good list of options. I have experimented with several options over the years. For high whistles my favorite was a wine bottle carrier. And when travelling I have used the roll up case supplied by Michael Burke. Although now I think I will travel with this one.

I agree this forum is a super place for ideas and sharing. Love to learn what others have tried.
olly498

Post by olly498 »

My friend just donated his knife roll to me which securely carries everything up to a Bb. You can get them really cheaply on eBay :)