Preventing tinnitus and hearing loss while practicing

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Do you use hearing protection while playing?

Yes
12%
No
67%
Sometimes
20%

Total votes: 49

Narzog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Re: Preventing tinnitus and hearing loss while practicing

Post by Narzog »

I dont have any hearing issues but I wear my Beyerdynamic DT770's and listen to the music I'm playing to through them. Makes the whistle quieter overall but I can still easily hear it.
joepairman
Tell us something.: I'm a lapsed sax player who loves playing whistle and tries to play jazz on it. Like many of the members here, I now have a bunch of whistles. Am looking to exchange a Carbony one at the moment.

Post by joepairman »

I have mild tinnitus but am also wary of hearing loss, since my father is 75% deaf.

I don't like hearing protection that muffles the high frequencies but can't justify the price of custom fitted musician's earbuds. So I use the Etymotics plugs, which work very well. An older link was posted in this thread about six years ago; here's one to the currently correct page:
https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/heari ... ction.html
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

I don't use hearing protection when playing my whistles. The CH-46s, F/A-18s, and especially AV-8Bs damaged my hearing more than the whistles would probably ever do. My pets' hearing is a concern, though, so I've been giving some thought to buying or making a whistle mute.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Vibes earplugs are very nice—good volume reduction and sound quality, inexpensive, unobtrusive, and comfy (they come with three different ear plug sizes for a more individualized fit). I’m very happy with them. Etymotic and EarPeace also have good offerings.