Generation Bb to A

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Punch Keen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Generation Bb to A

Post by Punch Keen »

Is it possible to make a Gen Bb in an A by extending the tube and adjusting the holes?
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Generation Bb to A

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Yes it is, but they won't be optimal IMO Bell note will be weak(er than it would with a proper diameter tube) and on the whole it will be pretty weak sounding. I base this on a direct comparison between a modded Generation A and a Löfgren alloy A. The Löfgren, built as a A whistle from scratch wins hands down. Hardly surprising, but still :)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Punch Keen

Post by Punch Keen »

Thanks, and I don't suppose you'd consider selling me the Lofgren 'A' ? :lol:
Punch Keen

Post by Punch Keen »

Does Lofgren have a website, can't seem to locate one?
Lars Larry Mór Mott

No, that's about the last whistle in my collection i'd sell, and then only to cure cancer :)
No website but i'll PM the mail address.
Punch Keen

Post by Punch Keen »

Thanks but I don't think I 'have' PM's yet, would you mind emailing me at?

punchkeen@yahoo.co.uk

Lars Larry Mór Mott

I was able to send you a private message.. Oh well, i'll mail too
Punch Keen

Post by Punch Keen »

Lars Larry Mór Mott wrote:I was able to send you a private message.. Oh well, i'll mail too
I know, and I've had a notification message sent to my email but when I click on the link it states 'You Are Not Authorised To Read Personal Messages' bizarre or what?
megapop

Post by megapop »

A certain full-time tweaker reportedly even managed to stretch a Bb down to G. :o
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89730

Whether the Gen Bb bore diameter fits these keys may be disputable though...
joshua7b wrote:The bottom note is rather weak and requires just the barest amount of air.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91267
return null;
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Lars Larry Mór Mott wrote:Yes it is, but they won't be optimal IMO Bell note will be weak(er than it would with a proper diameter tube) and on the whole it will be pretty weak sounding. I base this on a direct comparison between a modded Generation A and a Löfgren alloy A. The Löfgren, built as a A whistle from scratch wins hands down. Hardly surprising, but still :)
I agree here. A Generation Bb will make a nice B whistle cut down. But to stretch it with extra tubing is going to make a weak '' A'' that you will not like after you are use to it and hear an ''A'' with a larger bore.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Punch Keen

Post by Punch Keen »

megapop wrote:A certain full-time tweaker reportedly even managed to stretch a Bb down to G
My word that's impressive :o
Punch Keen

Post by Punch Keen »

Tommy wrote:I agree here. A Generation Bb will make a nice B whistle cut down. But to stretch it with extra tubing is going to make a weak '' A'' that you will not like after you are use to it and hear an ''A'' with a larger bore.
You're no doubts right with that opinion, I started a thread earlier today asking if anyone has a decent (Goldie, Chieftain etc) type 'A' going spare. The Dixon Polymer 'A' I have at the moment is a touch weak at the bottom (though improved after I opened the window a touch) so I'm looking for something with a little more presence. Judging from the comments above an extended Gen will be too similar to the Dixon.
LisaD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by LisaD »

Punch Keen wrote:
Tommy wrote:I agree here. A Generation Bb will make a nice B whistle cut down. But to stretch it with extra tubing is going to make a weak '' A'' that you will not like after you are use to it and hear an ''A'' with a larger bore.
You're no doubts right with that opinion, I started a thread earlier today asking if anyone has a decent (Goldie, Chieftain etc) type 'A' going spare. The Dixon Polymer 'A' I have at the moment is a touch weak at the bottom (though improved after I opened the window a touch) so I'm looking for something with a little more presence. Judging from the comments above an extended Gen will be too similar to the Dixon.
I have a Freeman tweaked A (he makes a new tube for a Gen Bb head, a similar concept to your original post). It is a little bit softer than some, but it's nicely balanced and has that Generation-Bb-sound that I like very much. I've also played a Sindt A and a Lofgren A ... both great instruments with strong low notes and good presence.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I have a Tommy Dion tweaked Generation Bb head with D tone tube. Yes, it is louder than a Susato.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

Lars Larry Mór Mott wrote:Yes it is, but they won't be optimal IMO Bell note will be weak(er than it would with a proper diameter tube) and on the whole it will be pretty weak sounding.
Don't think of it as "weak" -- think of it as "quiet"! It becomes a "narrow bore Gen A whistle"! :D

The Mack Hoover narrow bore D has the same overall dimensions as a high G whistle tube. Loveliness! Loud whistles certainly have a place in one's armamentarium, but there are plenty of times when a nice quiet whistle does the trick. His narrow low G is comparable to an old style lead-block type low whistle, and quite a bit narrower than an Overton, for example. I wouldn't say either is "weak" in tone, but the D especially is much quieter, particularly up high.

Cheers
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373