The whistling pencil - An Irish Oddity

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
StevePower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by StevePower »

When I was visiting Malachy Kearns in Roundstone, to buy Bodhran (no - stay, it's not ABOUT those nasty drum things, honest...) last week, I picked up something called the whistling pencil. It was nestled in by the Shaw, Clarke and Feadog whistles and even a Tom Ganley flute - so I thought it might be a (fairly) serious instrument - if a little comical.

It was about 6 inches long, 0.75 inches in diameter and looked a bit like a small tree (with flaky bark and small twigs) and had a lead pencil at one end and slot designed as a fipple (I suppose) at the other. I could see no holes to play it with, though and I suppose it was purely a whistle (as in football referee). I tried blowing down it, but it was strung to a piece of card and nothing much happened. I very nearly bought one, but when I realised that it wasn't playable I put it down again. It costs about £5 ($3.75 or so) and is made in the UK. Has anyone seen one and should I buy a dozen for all you novelty hunters out there?

Take care

Steve

http://www.shannaquay.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StevePower on 2001-07-04 16:13 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StevePower on 2001-07-04 16:15 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StevePower on 2001-07-04 16:16 ]</font>
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

On 2001-07-04 16:12, StevePower wrote:
It costs about £5 ($3.75 or so
I think you did the conversion backwards.

:smile: Jessie