Sliding into a Cross Fingered Cnat

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dickwhislington
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a stuck at basic fingering and blowing. I sense I need some advice on how to manage a few of the issues I hit as I progress. Right now how to slide neatly onto a c# from a middle d at the octave jump would be good. There is always a squeak unless I tongue it.

Re: Sliding into a Cross Fingered Cnat

Post by dickwhislington »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

New here. It's great and thanks for the advice and help

The whole area of the change between the registers is a tricky one for me. I can see from this thread that there may be more complex approaches that work. They seem to come down to hiding the squeaks with less squeaky ornaments or selecting different fingerings to reduce the squeakiness. Is that right?

Are there any textbook like posting on these. Right now I'm interested in a featureless and smooth transition from d to b and from d to a.

ie from 0xxxxx to x00000
and from 0xxxxx to xx00000.

Ideal would be no ornamentation and a transition as smooth as going from xxx000 to xxxxoo (in either register). Is this possible?

TIA for any help and advice.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Sliding into a Cross Fingered Cnat

Post by pancelticpiper »

dickwhislington wrote: I'm interested in a featureless and smooth transition from d to b and from d to a.

from 0xxxxx to x00000
and from 0xxxxx to xx00000.
The easiest way to make several note-changes on the whistle smoother and more facile is to move less fingers.

Instead of using open D oxx xxx used closed D xxx xxx.

Thus the sequence B-d-B is

XOO OOX
XXX XXX
XOO OOX

In quick passages you can do the sequence d-B-d thus

XXX XXX
XOO XXX
XXX XXX

which is even more facile.

Try playing The Kesh Jig with all closed Middle D's and see how much easier it is to play precisely. Plus the effect is better IMHO.

About the topic of using gracenotes to help octave leaps, Matt Molloy does that in The Gravel Walk, where he plays two short rolls in sequence on B, leaping from low B to high b on the second cut. (Or not! When he plays that passage all in the low octave.)
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle