knee-rest for low whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
trill

knee-rest for low whistles

Post by trill »

Greetings,

I've found that playing a heavy low D can be taxing on the hands and fingers. As a remedy to that stress, I've cobbled up a knee-rest to carry the weight. The idea was to support the weight without occluding the barrel (which flattens the pitch). I call it my "garage-scrap-special" . . .

As a bonus, it adds a great deal of roll stability, freeing up finger dexterity to focus on the notes.

Enjoy !
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: knee-rest for low whistles

Post by brewerpaul »

A thumb rest for the right hand thumb is another option which is less visible.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

Brilliant!
maki

Post by maki »

Brilliant!
Blower
Tell us something.: Whistling for 8 years after 40 year break from oboe, not enough puff for that anymore. Play gigs, sessions and for own amusement, though not cat's.

Post by Blower »

I found my MK slippery which, being a heavy whistle, was a job to keep in the correct position. I stuck two small squares of butyl rubber pond liner on the underside where my thumbs rest which did the trick and very unobtrusive.
farmerjones

Post by farmerjones »

I find that losing grip on the whistle to be a problem for me, too. I've been trying to keep the picky on the 6th hole and that's seemed to work well, but I may try putting something like this together for myself.
Whistlin' since 2013
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

farmerjones wrote:I find that losing grip on the whistle to be a problem for me, too. I've been trying to keep the picky on the 6th hole and that's seemed to work well, but I may try putting something like this together for myself.

I have found that for myself it works best to put the pinky on the whistle shaft beneath the lowest hole. It doesnt get in the way of any of the holes, and you can lift it up when you are playing on holes where the instrument is stabalized. Eventually it gets to become a reflex where the pinky just goes down when you are playing in a way that requires it. Everyone has their own ways of doing things, though.
farmerjones

Post by farmerjones »

I really should get into that habit. I've found with the low Eb that I made that I can't do that on some notes on it comes out very flat. I'm sure other whistles are going to be the same way too.
Whistlin' since 2013